Does "Pre-order"=Minimum Down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mykhaeli, Oct 6, 2011.

1. mykhaeli macrumors member

mykhaeli

Mourning.
    (respectfully, the only way to say "morning" today...:()

I'm not a noob, but cannot seem to recall the details for pre-ordering a 4S at the Apple Store. (and it was just June '10 that I bought my 4 too :eek:)
    "Pre-ordering" usually requires a minimum down, & the rest to be billed later upon shipping/in-store pick-up, no?
    -If yes, then what would be the minimum for the 64Gig model?

I thank you in advance, o' great collective minds of the MR boards!
    (sorry, I couldn't wait for my Apple Store to open, lol)

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Pre-ordering for something like this means paying in full.

3. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

You do not pay until they prepare the phone to ship to you. So your credit card will get hit next week.

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Pre-Order is charged in full, it's not *officially* paid until it's delievered, they usually issue the full charge and sometimes it will drop off then be charged again the day the iPhone is delivered to you.

When I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 the charge never dropped off, it was listed as "Pending" from the first day of pre-order up until the day it got delivered then it switched to processed..

5. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

They authorize your card when you place the pre-order, to make sure funds are available. Authorizations stay for a couple days, then drop off if the merchant does not make a charge.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Authorizations can stay for 30 days, and they freeze those funds on your card for that duration.

7. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yes, I understand that but they authorize for the full amount they don't do a partial authorize.. which is what the poster was asking "what's the partial charge" Apple must send the Authorize through multiple times, like I said last year I pre-ordered on day 1 it was a week or so before delivery if I recall and the Authorization never fell off..

8. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

The authorization is for the full amount-- they need to see if your credit limit will allow for the charge later. Depending on your clearing house and the bank that issues your card, authorizations fall off at different times. Considering there is only a week between pre-order and shipment, the charge will more than likely post to your credit card before the authorization drops off. This does not "double charge" you, it turns the authorization into a charge. This is credit card processing works with my merchant company.

9. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

i think when i preordered from vzw they didnt charge anything till it shipped. actually yeah i dont remember seeing anything until it shipped

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You won't "see" a preauthorization (well, you might depending on the online banking options you have) - it will only appear on the statement after it's captured. But the funds are reserved at the time you make your order. No big deal if using a credit card that's not close to its limit, but if using a debit card you need to be aware that the funds are locked out of your bank account immediately and not accessible to you - even though the charge isn't "Captured" until it's shipped.