Does pre-sign for delivery actually work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RealSkyDiver, Mar 11, 2012.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Once I pre-signed for my iMac, but I was present when it got delivered so I opened the door in person. The guy then told me I shouldn't bother with the notice since Apple doesn't wan't expensive stuff sitting on the porches. Apparently it keeps getting stolen. I never had anything stolen, so why would Apple have a pre-sign option if it doesn't work?

2. Larrupin macrumors member

Larrupin

I used pre-sign for my iPhone 4s and iPad 2 without a problem. It is nerve wracking knowing it is sitting out there unguarded so make sure your delivery location is safe.

3. tencentcat macrumors newbie

tencentcat

I've used it before. No problem at long as you trust your neighbors.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

From what FedEx has told me the driver still has discretion whether to leave it or not. If the driver can't find a safe place to leave it he can bring it back to the station.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It works, just make sure you let them know where to put it. This also releases them from any liability after delivery. They keep the form.

6. acarney macrumors 6502

I was told that with the 4S they wouldn't leave it or release it to anyone else, even the owner of the property if they were not who the package was addressed to. My grandpa offered to sign it but had to come downstairs & get me to come outside to sign for it because the drive said he couldn't let us do that and started heading back to the truck. I think this is only during the release day rush when it's kinda on the radar that packages might be iPhones or iPads. Shipment number two might work fine with presign. I wouldn't risk it though on release day delivery. You might be able to call FedEx or ups & just have them hold the package at a retail hub near you that day so you could run down during a lunch break from work or something.

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Like others said, it's up to the driver. Obviously if he/she sees somebody creeping around your house, they won't leave it.. Or then again, you signed the release form, which means its not their responsibility anymore.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Instead of doing that, view your tracking page on FedEx' site and choose to Hold at FedEx location.". You can redirect the iPad to your local kinkos or FedEx hub. And if you do it this early, it won't delay the delivery. I do this for everything because my apartment won't sign for me.

9. PhysicsMan macrumors newbie

Thanks letting everyone know about this, I think that I'm going to give it a shot.

I wonder If maybe it will get dropped off at the kinkos before it would have been delivered to my apartment... \fantasy

10. dacoops3 macrumors newbie

NOT TRUE! I lived in a house in one of the richest communities in the United States, and my Fed Ex guy would never leave anything even with a signed form because he "didn't feel it was safe". One time I had to drive to a Fed Ex center to pick up a box of salad dressing. You can't make this stuff up.

I asked them and they said that if someone were to complain their package was missing the driver was fiscally responsible in all instances. In other words, why would my Fed Ex driver ever take the chance of leaving something? He wouldn't, and he didn't. And I would be at Fed Ex every other week picking up some crap that was signature required.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It actually does get there earlier in my case, usually. The Kinkos is one of the first stops in the morning because they also pickup packages from there and drop them off at the hub during the day. I ordered something overnight from Amazon recently and it got to Kinkos at 8:15AM when the regular delivery to my home isn't until after 2 :)

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

I will do it even though I will be home. Sometimes they knock so lightly, sometimes I have my headphones on, and sometimes I am on a work call.

This ensures it gets left.

The only concern I have ever had is theft by the Fedex driver. It happens and the form makes it a little easier for them to say they left it and then steal it.

13. boxster99t macrumors member

It has always worked for me--I've lost count of all the Apple online store purchases I pre-signed for, but they include (2) AppleTVs, Iphone 4, Ipad 2, Mac Pro, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, G4 Powerbook replacement battery and charging cable, Magic Trackpad, and a SmartCover (for my new Ipad due Friday 3-16)ect...you get the idea.

One of the things I enjoy about "launch day" pre-orders, is knowing there'll be a box waiting for me when I get home, and no waiting in lines :)