Does Push Contacts and Calendars affect battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueharvester, Aug 4, 2008.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

Does having Push enabled for Contacts and Calendar on an Exchange ActiveSync account drain the battery much? I have it only enabled for one Exchange account. Furthermore, only the Contacts and Calendar is enabled for push, I have disabled Email.

Will the Exchange ActiveSync only connect to the phone when an update has been made to either my Contacts or Calendar? Or, does ActiveSync periodically connect regardless of updates, and therefore drainging the battery more?

There are only about 4 updates per day to my Contacts and Calendar and I'm just wondering is it really worth having Push on all the time?

2. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

It supposedly does affect your battery life - but I have push syncing with both my MobileMe account and work Exchange account and don't notice much of a difference, and I do quite a bit of fiddling around with calendars and contacts.

I'd just leave it on if I were you and see what your battery usage is like. If you're not happy try it without push on and see if you notice a difference.