Does Quicklook work in Spotlight?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Argelius, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I'm sure this has been answered previously, but my searches came up empty....

Is there any way to use Quicklook from within Spotlight search results?

I'd like to be able to do a Spotlight search and hit the space bar for a quick Quicklook look before actually launching the program.

I'm guessing this isn't possible, since hitting the space bar only inserts a space in the Spotlight search box, but thought I'd ask...

2. doctoree macrumors 6502

You can Command Click an item to open a Finder window. The item is highlighted so you can instantly hit the space bar for Quicklook. Hit the spacebar holding down Control for full screen Quicklook.

I don't know a better way.

3. Simmerl macrumors member

I really miss a feature like that.
    They could just let us use cmd+y for it.

4. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks --- that's not exactly what "I want", but works pretty well. Thanks!

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yes, you can.

Do a spotlight search, then click the Show All link at the top of the list. This will open a Finder window with your Spotlight search results, and you can use Quick Look on the whole lot.

Lee Tom

6. devburke Guest

Depends. If you're in the menu bar, no. If you're in a Spotlight window in Finder, yes.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Oh that would be genius new feature. I often search using the Spotlight Icon and need to make sure it's the right file - being able to Quicklook the "Top Hit" would be great.

For some reason I just got excited about 10.6 and in-window Spotlight searches; now we have the option to search the current folder or the entire Mac HD, FINALLY!!!!!!!!

8. devburke Guest

We always had that option. We just didn't have an option to change the default behavior.

9. devburke Guest

Having Quick Look in the menu bar part of Spotlight and in Stacks would be awesome. So would right-click ability in those places.