Does Quicksilver essentially kill the dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skadar, Apr 13, 2009.

1. skadar macrumors newbie

I'm currently switching from PC to Mac and I installed Quicksilver. Now I'm confused as to the purpose of the dock. The speed at which I can find and launch something from QS sorta makes the dock useless.

I'm not sure what to think about this.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

If you want it to? ;)
    I find the dock still has a role.. Handling minimized applications, dealing with already open applications... Plus depending on the person may even be faster for launching every day programs.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah, minimizing is kind of useless with expose, and especially with spaces.

quicksilver is great, but you'll find that the dock has it's own special place.

although i'm not going to lie to you - i launch 80% of my apps from Quicksilver. what a great program.

if anything, you can have a minimal dock with just finder and trash.

it's what i use in most of my spaces - however i have a full, and 'essentials' app i can select with DockSpaces.

4. str1f3 macrumors 68000

you can always do a cmd+opt+d and hide the dock. the same shortcut brings it up again. Quicksilver is really a great app but I've moved on to Launchbar since Quicksilver hasn't really progressed since Tiger.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep that's what i do! i tried drag thing too but it just didn't work out for me