Does raise to wake significantly impact battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I've grown accustomed to turning off any gratuitous features if it gives me more battery. There are, however, some features that are just too useful to get rid of. Raise to wake is a pretty handy addition IF it doesn't have a significant drain on the battery. Anyone have real world experience?

2. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Significant would have to be defined by you. It is probably almost nothing. But if you pick up the phone a ton you may actual be saving battery life by checking widgets vs going into the phone unlock and launching or seeing home screen then swiping and Checking a widget

If a feature is useful use it. If not turn it off. Otherwise kinda defeats the purpose

3. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Since I started to use my iPhone 7 Plus, on Sunday, I've started to use this feature. I don't feel it does affect battery life too much. Then again, I'm sure that would be down to the volume of use, too...

4. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

If you're checking your phone the same amount you did before you had the feature then the battery cost will be very small.

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. I7guy macrumors G5

That was a good question, I was thinking the same myself.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Use your phone for several days with it on. Then use your phone in similar ways with it off? Any obvious/huge/glaring differences? If not, it's probably worth it. My guess is there won't be.

I understand battery consumption, but I've never understood it at the expense of useful features that make a smartphone a smartphone.

8. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

exactly! imessage is one of the biggest drains when actively used. lets just shutoff imessage, location services and go on airplane mode when in the pocket. why even have it

9. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I couldn't stand the raise to wake feature. Neither could my buddy we both turned it off. Every time you pick the phone up to move it or put it in your pocket it would light up. Some love it. That's why it was smart for Apple to let you turn it on or off.

10. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I love the raise to wake feature, I also love the Hey Siri feature. I use both a lot and can't imagine turning them off.

11. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Same here. It just seemed to be on too much. The phone already vibrates and comes on when I get a notification. Maybe in the future.

12. nav92 macrumors member

nav92

I haven't noticed any battery drain with it to be honest. My new iPhone 7 Plus still lasts me 2 days with normal use. So you will do just fine :)

13. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Doesn't seem to be an issue at all. In fact iOS 10 has improved battery life on my phone overall.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My 7 almost does as well.

15. privateryanuk macrumors member

privateryanuk

I'm quite impressed with how quickly it flicks back off after the wake... I think it's a battery *saver* since I can quickly lift the phone on my desk and see if anything's been going on, if not, it goes back down and fades to black in a second or so. Got to be better than turning the screen on formally, then turning off again or waiting for the screen to timeout.

16. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I have my phone in my pocket most the day because I am on my feet most of the day. So using this feature wont benefit me would it? Does is go to sleep in your pocket?

17. yPree macrumors newbie

Yes, it does not wake in your pocket. I also don't see how being on your feet/sitting down can make this more useful than the other. I just want to see my damn phone when i raise it, whether i'm sitting down or standing up and thats exactly what it does and it does it well. I'm a fan of this feature. Wouldn't turn back after enabling it.