Does reading MacRumors make you paranoid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fubar1977, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Who else spends some time on here reading about other peoples issues and then ends up examining their MBP`s in minute detail looking for any signs of similar problems?
    I realize that usually people only post when they have a problem and I have not personally ever had a single issue with mine.
    I`m also a bit OCD which seems quite common amongst Mac users too (and I mean no insult by this).
    I always take very good care of my stuff but, honestly, I`ve never been so careful with a laptop before!
    Does anyone else suffer from this?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Sometimes, but I usually don't check if I have the same problems. Usually it's considered a bit selfish to say 'I have no problems, haha' so people don't generally do it.

I have had no problems so far either, but I like helping other people with them :) otherwise I would never use this forum.

3. 184550 Guest

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Fixed that for you.

It's a proven fact that people complain openly more than they report no problems openly. The experience here is skewed...many people come here with problems to seek out answers (or just complain). As for Mac users being OCD, I doubt there is a significant difference in the incidence of OCD in the Mac versus PC world...again, your experience is colored by posts on MacRumors. If your OCD tendencies are keeping you from fully enjoying your MBP, you should seek out professional help (and I mean no insult by this).

5. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Me :). And it's both good and bad imo - it makes you paranoid, but testing for the known issues of a product and noticing that they are there can help you get your product exchanged for a problem-free one before the warranty runs out.

It's not all good though. I've got the 2009 27" iMac, and was extremely happy with it. I saw a thread about the yellow screen tint, and after careful examination I saw I had this too. However, I use it for work 8+ hours per day and can't really be without it for an extended period of time, and also it has none of the other problems I've read about, so I decided to keep it as-is. Now I have a small annoying tint that I have to live with, but that I wouldn't have noticed at all if I didn't read this forum :)

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

no, makes the obvious obvious, the majority of people on here have or have had problems.
    and reassures me I know everything I would need to troubleshoot most situations one could come across.

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

+1

This is a great forum.

The only downside are the juveniles that spew venom and waste bandwidth with their personal attacks against anyone and any product they disagree with.

Otherwise this is the Best Forum for all things Apple... :)

8. Fubar1977 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Point taken:)
    My OCD certainly doesn`t prevent me from enjoying my MBP, it goes everywhere I do, like a (really big) iPod, however unlike any of my previous machines I always take those extra few seconds to check I`m putting it somewhere safe and secure.
    I certainly wasn`t this careful about my Compaq or Dell.

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

by OCD I take it you mean Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?..

+1

I do wish we had a general chat for hoax and humor though!

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I'M FOLLOWING ALL OF YOU!

BOO! Getting back to the question of whether Macrumors make you paranoid... now it should.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not in the least.

I ignore most OCD type posts. Simple. :)

12. 184550 Guest

Isn't that the iPhone forum? :confused:

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

\

Then it's not OCD...it's called love. You've developed a personal relationship with your MBP you were unable to achieve with your PC's.

14. Fubar1977 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

This is probably true, I never felt any sort of "emotional attachment" to any of my previous machines, even my hand built PC was just a device, my Macbook is a "He"! Sad, I know.
    I`ll get my flame-proof coat...:D

15. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

+1 it's more of a place for info, help and reassurance.