does reformatting an iphone help revive it like PCs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThereGoesJB, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

An occasional reformat has always resolved a lot of basic sluggish behavior on my PC/windows computers. Does the same go for older iphones? I have a 5s on ios 10.3 that is mostly fine, but definitely a bit more sluggish than it used to be.

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Then you should have been more circumspect with what iOS you loaded on it.

"No soup for you!"

3. ThereGoesJB thread starter macrumors regular

huh? I'm not asking about a specific IOS, just wondering if a clean install (which i guess would mean whatever the latest IOS is) will speed up the day to day use of the phone. Much the way a fresh windows install on a PC seems to clean out the cobwebs and give new life to it.

Like, is this something people do? Is it worth it? Or is it not the same as a PC in this way?

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It may help.

But for the best possible result, it is not advised to restore from backup though.

Are you prepared to do that? If you're not, then leave it.

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

I used to do a fresh install whenever the new updates came out. Starting with iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, I stopped worrying about and just do upgrades. I've noticed no difference whatsoever. I'll continue just doing upgrades for the foreseeable future.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I find ocasional maintenance helps. I have an app, long removed from the app store, that recovers unused storage space and that's where I usually start.

I'm jailbroken though so I have access to iCleaner Pro which takes care of cache files and some other minor things.

I've never had any issue with slowdowns or lags not attributable to running out of memory. But then being jailbroken, I usually stay on one iOS version so that probably helps.