Does reinstalling OS X damage hd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James17, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James17 macrumors 6502

Just wondered if reinstalling OS X a few times would damage the hd or decrease system performance in any way? Is it true that when you reinstall, there are still traces of your previous installation on your hard drive?

2. dcubed20 macrumors member

No, no, and no. Don't worry about it.

3. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

There is no harm to your HD in reinstalling OSX.

Just make sure you back up anything important.

OSX can't save you from yourself. :)

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is quite possibly funniest question ive heard on this board yet...what would make you think it would harm the drive?

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

On a healthy drive, no, this won't cause any problems.

It's possible, albeit difficult, to recover files from the drive that were "erased" in the formatting process, but have not yet been written over by new data. If you have a drive that was, at one time, full of sensitive data, the only way to be sure that no one recovers the data is to destroy the drive.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, thats true

when data on a hdd is deleted, it is not actually removed, just flagged as being deleted, and therefore is not shown in finder
    recovery software will easily recover everything

the only way to remove data on magnetic media is to pass data over it several times, for example, secure erase in trash writes random data over files 7 times to delete it

not really, many free tools will recover data from a formatted hdd/usb key - i did it once and it found every file in about 30 secs

7. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that the only way to secure your data on a hd was to format it a few times and write 0's on it amongst other things but I wondered if I reinstalled OS X without doing this and possibly the traces of a previous installation would still be there so I thought it would compromise the health of the HD. Not that I had to explain that to someone who demonstrates a lack of respect for other people.

I'm glad my question could be the funniest ever, it makes me feel proud I asked:mad: If you haven't got anything constructive to contribute to my question then I don't think your post is justified, do you?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Oh really :rolleyes:

I would say that most folks find that data recovery is anything but easy

I'm not saying it can't be done... it certainly can, with varying degrees of success, but in my opinion, to say that recovery software will easily recover everything is a bit misleading

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Installing a program or OS on a hard drive cannot damage the physical drive. It's all zeroes and ones. As far as the drive is concerned, it's all just data.... no difference between images, videos, text files, programs or OS components. You can write and rewrite and rerewrite to your heart's content. No danger of harming the drive.

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I just got through reading about this actually. Yes, you can erase your hard drive, there are programs to do just that. It takes hours, depending on the size of the drive and wipes it with 0s and 1s, taking several passes to do this. However, if you are wanted by the Fed's, you should probably carry said hard drive away and drop it in an active volcano.

Reformatting doesn't hurt your hard drive though, if it did, I'd be on my 20 drive instead of 4th!:)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no need to run 7, or 35 or any other large number of passes to securely wipe a hard drive. From the Department of Defense:

12. philgilder macrumors 68000

ok, maybe easily and everything were too far, but its generally not that hard to recover data from a formatted hdd

no, but the more you write over it, the more secure it is
    3 is the most basic, and obviously 7 or 35 times will really destroy it

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After a 3-pass wipe, all data is completely destroyed and there is zero possibility of recovering anything. Any additional passes are useless effort and add absolutely no additional security.

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Everyone likes a funny now and then.

Reinstalling an OS taxes your hard drive no more than accessing it normally does. It would be like asking if I'm using my monitor more when I'm using photoshop or word. Same damn thing.

15. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

The relevance of your post is of the same calibre as the persons before. Why do people waste their time?

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you don't need to flame everyone and get defensive. If someone says something you don't like just be the bigger person and ignore it.

17. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why should I ignore something that is posted in a thread that I created and wanted sensible answers on? What I said was not being defensive as there was nothing to defend.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a message board... people chime in, even when they have nothing new to say, they add their voice in support of what is already said.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...

Why do you? It's entertaining, isn't it?

20. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

The difference is that the person in this thread did not voice support of what was already said, they found it necessary to laugh at someone so not only did they wastefully "chime in", they mocked another which is sad.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

ahhh I see you cannot be the bigger person.

evacuating the thread in 3, 2...

22. James17 thread starter macrumors 6502

No I don't. I asked the question before reinstalling OS X so wondered if it would have any implications for the future health of the hdd but people like you find it necessary to come on here and waste your time with senseless posts whilst offending people. "Same damn thing" is not required, neither is your senseless comparison of Word and Photoshop, that is informal mockery. Why don't you open up a Word doc and type some waste into that, at least other people don't have to see it.

Bye. -1, great.

23. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Perhaps look into encryption options in the future if you are regularly dealing with sensitive data? or pron?

We all have varying levels of technical knowledge, and nobody likes to be the butt of jokes by those who assume they're own knowledge makes them superior, eh? But I strongly suspect they're just joshing ya, and hope you can feel amused with them, rather then feel they are poking fun at you. :)

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I guess the answers have been answered, tongue-in-cheek and not, and there's no need to turn it into bickering...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.