Does Reminders app not use GPS while on cellular?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by divergirl, May 25, 2014.

1. divergirl macrumors regular

Strangest thing happened to me yesterday. I've been experimenting with using the location function in Reminders on my cellular iPad to remind me of stuff when I arrive at certain locations. I always leave cellular data on and just toggle Wi-Fi on and off as needed.

So the other day I was at my house and I turned off Wi-Fi and as soon as I switched onto LTE, immediately a reminder popped up that was set to go off the next time I arrived at my friend's house. But my friend lives 2 miles away from me! What on earth could cause this behavior? I checked the properties of the reminder and I had the location radius set at 328 feet, so it definitely shouldn't have been triggered 2 miles away. And under Privacy, I have allowed the Reminders app to use my location.

Doesn't seem like a very reliable feature. :eek:

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Maybe it has something to do with the pop-up that wants Wifi on to have better location data.

It's possible it's a minor glitch that occured when you switch from LTE to Wifi.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you turn off wifi when you get home?

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

What phone do you have? When using cellular it triangulates the tower positions to get your position, sometimes accurate some times not so much. When using wifi it is better since you are usually very close to the base station. Just a thought.

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I don't see why you wouldn't want wifi on at your own house.
    It was probably just a one time bug that happened.

5. divergirl, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

I actually turn on wifi when I get home. I was already home and was going to be leaving within five minutes and was packing the iPad in my bag, so I turned off wifi so that it wouldn't be on when I left the house. I just happened to notice that as soon as I switched it off the reminder popped up.

I actually was not using a phone, I was using my cellular iPad Mini Retina. :D

Is that how the GPS gets your location on cellular? If that's the case then how would you be able to use turn by turn directions while using cellular data? Would it not be far too inaccurate for that?