Does replacing HDD void warranty? YES or NO???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Okay, I've seen many different answers in countless threads and I want to know for real. Does replacing hard drive void warranty in MBP's? If the answer is yes, is there any possible way I can get it swapped while still keeping warranty? Such as having Apple replace it?

Also how easy is it to screw something up when swapping it out yourself? I've seen videos and it looks pretty complicated. The part I'm most concerned about is unhooking the keyboard.

Thanks for any help!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

YES.

Upgrading the hard drive falls under "alter[ing] the functionality or capability", even if you don't break anything doing it.

Of course, if you swap the drive out and put the old one back in if it's going in for service, they shouldn't be able to tell as long as you don't **** anything up. It depends on if you want to take that chance or not.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With a 3rd party drive, if the drive is in the diagnostic service tree they may charge you for replacing the drive with a stock unit -- and you pay a huge price for a downgrade

So putting the stock drive back in may be a good idea for service purposes.

4. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So if I get it done at a AASP, I'll still have warranty.. correct?

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

voids the warranty as far as the hdd goes and any components you would have to "touch" to change the drive. which = pretty much all of the guts inside the computer.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Technically yes,but unless you have to take it in for repair who's gonna know? & if you do you just swap back to original parts

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Replacing the HD DOES NOT void your warranty.

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Am i the only one reading the above quote as in

any damage that is caused by your upgrade? If there is no damage then there is nothing to worry about. Just be careful when you do it.

nothing scary about taking the keyboard cable off...just pull it off the motherboard...

edit: okay at least someone agrees with me here. It does not void your warranty. Altering capability is not upgrading your HD. Its more on the lines of replacing your superdrive with a HD, or adding a Draft-N card to a first gen Macbook Pro.

10. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha see what I mean??? Everyone says something different. After I read Apples policy, it appears that it DOES NOT void it. Am I reading it right? So as long as I don't damage anything, the warranty is intact?

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yes.

Just because apple doesnt make the HD as accessible as the Macbook's does not mean the user can't replace it.

otherwise many macbook users have lost their warranty when they did their own RAM and hard drive upgrade.

the macbook pro hard drive isnt too hard to replace anyhow.

12. Crossbone macrumors regular

Ditto. Only voided if some gets broken.

I replaced mine, was very careful, went from a 160 5400 to a 250 5400.
    I soon might replace that 250 5400 with a 320 5400.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess if you *uck sh*t up while your trying to change the hdd (which imo is pretty much near impossible to do unless your trying to mess up your mbp on purpose) then yes but if you just change it out and if you need to ship your laptop to apple, you can just stick the original hdd back in and ship it to apple and your fine. I've done it plenty of times with no problems from applecare. :D

14. gothamm macrumors 6502a

You are dead wrong.

If I didn't know better, i'd say you are totally making this up. Upgrading memory does NOT void your warranty. Apple even has instructions on how to swap the memory in the included user manual.

as for HDD upgrades: Go for it. It "technically" does void your warranty, but like many others have said, the person repairing your mbp is not going to know. If something is wrong, just put the original drive back in, and they won't know a thing. This is of course an issue of personal morals. To me, its fine. Apple restricts its users way too much and i feel we should have much more control over our components.

15. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Something I hate about the MBP. The MacBook you can remove the drive as it can be accessed from within the battery compartment, whereas the MBP you can't. Yes it will void your warrantee, unless you get an Apple service centre to install it for you. I know the Apple Store in the UK charge £70 for this service. If you do replace your HDD yourself, it voids your warrantee and they charge £110 for the service plus hourly charge, the same as water damage.

I have taken m MBP top cover off, to see warrantee seals over the screws below. My friends machine did not though.

16. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

NO unless you damage something else in the process

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No it does not void your warranty, unless you screw something up in the process and have to
    get it looked at as a result of this. To get over this issue you merely swap back to original parts

18. KT322 macrumors newbie

There were no warranty seals when I upgraded my 2.4GHz MBP's HD. (Ridiculously easy btw)

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I agree it is ridiculously easy to change the hdd out. I can do it in no longer than 10 minutes, probably 5 minutes if I hurried.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you ask Apple they will tell you it voids the warranty, but if you ask them more, they will tell you they can't tell if you swapped out the HDD or an authorized shop did it unless you tell them.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Funny this...
    i wrote on various threads that changing the HD would void the apple warranty (technically). Yet a whole load of MR users bit my bloody head off, stating it doesn't void the warranty cause they've check with some apple sale guy... what the **** does a sales guy know?

noobs... know best huh! :rolleyes:

my advice...
    Change it if you want, peeps here can't and most probably won't warranty your machine
    if or should Apple discoverers your machine been opened before...
    i.e. do it at your own risk, your an adult, right?

excuse me for ranting...

22. ReBeLaCe macrumors newbie

ReBeLaCe

It does not void your warranty as long as you don't damage anything else. The hard drive you put in can't be warranted but everything else is still fine as long as you didn't snap a ribbon cable or something just be careful if you do it. Its not that bad.

23. tmoney468 macrumors 6502a

So let's see, if I buy a HD for my MBP, and I bring it to an authorized repair center and have them replace the HD, that voids the warranty as well?

What would be the difference if I did it that way or if I replaced the HD myself? As long as I didn't damage anything, how would Apple or anyone else know who upgraded the drive?

And even if there is a problem, I could always put the old HD back in before being services, as there's no way Apple could know it's been opened unless something was broken inside.

24. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Apparently so...

However, iMac Users with the glass systems ain't so lucky.. Apple started putting warranty stickers on certain parts of the iMac, though I think it related to swapping out the CPU.... guess it'll take a little time to filter through to the other systems. OMG - let hope that doesn't happen.

But seriously though...
    How hard is it to change a HD?
    Not heard anyone killing their machines yet...

25. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yes unless instructed so by an apple care tech or genus