Does replacing the Hard Drive on a new MacBook Pro void the warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whistlerpro, Nov 3, 2009.

1. whistlerpro macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm thinking of getting one of the new (June 2009) Unibody MacBook Pros, and then upgrading the hard drive. But will doing this void the warranty?

For example are there any stickers I would have to break to replace it?

I know with the previous iteration it was really easy to replace and wouldn't void the warranty, but this new one doesn't even have a battery latch.

Thank you.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

It won't ruin your warranty, although if your problem stems from the hard drive itself, Apple won't cover it. All you'll need is to remove the screws holding the backing of the uMBP and you'll be able to access the HDD. There are no stickers/seals you need to worry about breaking, just the bracket that holds the HDD in place.

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I bought a MBP last week and specifically asked the salesman this question. He said that it will NOT void the warranty to open it up and change hard drive or RAM. I would verify that with Applecare though before I dug in if it was me.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As the ones said before: it won't void the warranty. Apple has even put the procedure of replacing the HDD into their manuals.

Here is the manual for the 2.53GHz 15" MBP (Mid 2009): http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_15inch_2.53GHz_Mid2009.pdf - page 37.

5. whistlerpro thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mark-itguy macrumors regular

So for say a 13.3-inch MBP, it might be a better deal to buy your own SSD and install, versus getting it BTO, right?

It would seem to me that you would then be able to get whatever that days "best" SSD is, (say an Intel XM G2), versus whatever Apple uses...

Does anyone know what SSD Apple uses?

7. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Check on youtube for OTC's instructional videos on HD and RAM replacement.

As others have said it wont void your warranty, unless you break something in the process of doing it.

8. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

The warranty will not be void as everyone said. However, what happens if we need to send the computer -or need to stop by an Apple store- for a repair? Is it "advisable" to put back the original HDD or RAM before sending it out, so that they wont refuse repair?