Does replacing the Original HD in my MBP voids the warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M&M, Aug 5, 2008.

1. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

I'm wondering if I replace my Hard Drive for a large capacity one, will this void my applecare warranty?

If not, I have a 200GB 7200RPM Drive, what do you recommend in the same speed range and 320GB capacity, since I belive that the larger ones are just 5400RPM.

Thanks

2. mchank macrumors regular

Having a different hard drive than the one that came with the laptop originally won't void the warranty, however the official line is that it needs to have been installed by an Apple Certified Tech. There have been some posts where people have replaced the hard drive themselves without warranty issues from Apple, but if you break something when you're installing it, your out of luck.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

It doesn't void your warranty unless you screw it up and break something.

Also if you have any issues with your MBP and need Apple Care, switch out your new HDD for your old one that came with the MBP because Apple might deny service if there are 3rd party parts in there.

I'm not sure what good HDD choices you have, maybe check Newegg. Also make sure that the dimensions will fit into your MBP; some drives can only fit in the 17"