Does respringing affect your hardware?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Knowlege Bomb, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I read in some random thread that reflashing your phone continuously can harm your phone. It was an argument somebody used against jailbreaking, I believe. I didn't think much of it because nobody really responded to it but I just wanted to make sure. If I get bored at work I have a tendency to install every theme for a preview rather than trying to get the "more info" screen to come up...

2. STC macrumors 6502a

3. iblastoff macrumors 6502

why in the hell would respringing affect your hardward. ludicrous.

4. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I don't see how it possibly could do any harm to hardware.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's like asking if resetting the resolution will harm your computer.

7. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Woah woah woah

First you said respringing, then you talked about flashing?

Flashing your iPhone, such as flashing the bootloader or baseband, if done way too much, can have negative effects on your phone (ruined bootloader/baseband).

Respringing, however, is simply killing the SpringBoard.app and forcing it to reload, successfully showing any changes that have been made since it's last respring. Respringing, in no way, can harm your phone at all.

8. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Explain how it effecting my "hardward" is ludicrous.

And why do you people act like anybody who comes here with a question is a complete retard for asking? Isn't that what this place is here for? Or am I mistaken and this is actually a "my phone doesn't do what I want it to" bitch fest?

9. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Thank you for educating my on the terms AND answering my question. Too bad there isn't a way to add names like yours to a list and just filter out all the other trash that comes in...

10. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it was an attack against you. You said that you were repeating what you read in another thread.

For someone to then respond by saying that statement is ludicrous, is not a statement against you, it's a statement against the original poster.

That being said, I remember the thread that you're referring to, and they were indeed referring to the software unlock, which does, in fact, flash your rom.

A respring, however, is no more harmful than quitting an application and starting it back up again.