Does restore as new fix battery drain issue? (UPDATE) It did for me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silroc, Apr 18, 2011.

1. silroc, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Is this a definitive fix or just a grasp at straws?

Losing battery by lunch just doenst cut it.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

4.3.1 fixed most of the issues that my 3GS was having. I restored it as new not for that reason, but just to give it a thorough cleaning.

3. jacollins macrumors 6502a

My battery works just fine. I last 10+ hours of MP3's and light phone call useage.

Of course, you may get better results for your question by actually posting which phone you have, which OS, and what things you've done to tweak the battery time...

4. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

The only way a restore would help would be if some non-default setting or application was causing your battery woes. You'd be just as well-off to try and determine what application (such as mail fetching, or some rogue application) might be causing your problems.

5. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

OK well good news

Despite the sarcasm in this thread, and behavior i am SURE none would partake in if we were face to face, I CAN CONFIRM a clean restore worked for me.

SURE it sucked redoing everything, but 3 hours into it, my battery is 99%- at this point yesterday i would be in the 50% range

SO there you have it. There must be some app or some corruption causing the iphone to drain battery like mad since 4.3

that could explain why some folks dont see the drain, while most others do.

i have IP4

6. ap105 macrumors regular

I to did a restore as new and it's a pain. yes it did help but for like a week. then after got the same battery stats I got before restore. So just went to apple store explained my situation and they replaced my iphone4. Now getting great battery life been over 2weeks.

7. Sirolway macrumors 6502

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Thanks, my wife just replaced her 3GS and her battery life really sucks now. 1/2 gone by noon without doing anything on it. I'll restore it tonight and then reinstall and see what happens.

9. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I suspect it is more an app thing than an OS thing. Some people have misc issues throughout the different Firmwares (not just the latest).

Out of curiousity, do you use Skype or any other voip service? Not quite completely there, but I think I've tracked down some of my bad battery life to after using Skype (but it isn't consistent). I usually end task on the last 10 apps or so when I see battery draining faster than expected and it resolves it for me. However, this doesn't work consistently for others (for example, you).