Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
If so, how does this work?
Does it make it as if it was a new iPhone? When you select a backup does it restore all texts, photos, phone contacts etc?

So what exactly goes on here..

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I restored my iPhone 3G and then set it back up as a new phone. You do have the option to restore and then use one of your backups to get all your apps,photos etc back. I decided to start over from scratch. I had to get all the information (photos, notes, etc) that was stored directly on my phone off before restoring.

It was a little easier for me since I have my contacts, calendar and email synced through exchange.

It did make my phone a little faster. Nothing close to a iP4.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I have an iPhone 4
I notice it is slower though,
maybe too many apps?

anyway if I got a new iPhone 4, will restore restore everything?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Seems like iOS needs to be re-installed every week to make sure it doesn't slow down. Today, my iPhone 4 slowed down SOOOOOOO much it took a freaking full minute for the MapQuest app to start up.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Seems like iOS needs to be re-installed every week to make sure it doesn't slow down. Today, my iPhone 4 slowed down SOOOOOOO much it took a freaking full minute for the MapQuest app to start up.

I've never had those problems with my 2 4's since launch. Are you jailbroken?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I've never had those problems with my 2 4's since launch. Are you jailbroken?

Nope, stock iPhone 4.2. Even swiping to unlock the iPhone and swiping between the pages of icons was slow to respond. Had to reboot the device to be usable. And before you ask: No, I had no background apps running.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I definitely find 4.2 more sluggish on the iPhone 4 compared to 4.1.

It's not an awful lot, but just some of the animations when opening apps and folders aren't quite as smooth.

It also annoys me a little how the animation when the Multi-Tasking tray opens isn't as smooth when done on a "full" home screen (16 icons) as it is when you open it when in an app (or when you have only 3 rows of apps on the home screen). I've had two replacements (dodgy home button and interlacing screen) that both came with 4.1 and after selling my iPhone 4 before Christmas (long story), this new one I bought last weekend is on 4.2 and I do notice the difference.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I definitely find 4.2 more sluggish on the iPhone 4 compared to 4.1.

It's not an awful lot, but just some of the animations when opening apps and folders aren't quite as smooth.

It also annoys me a little how the animation when the Multi-Tasking tray opens isn't as smooth when done on a "full" home screen (16 icons) as it is when you open it when in an app (or when you have only 3 rows of apps on the home screen).

I've noticed this as well. If you hold an icon to reorganize its much slower to respond.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
What I'm concerned with is like 3Gb of "OTHER" that doesn't make any sense, in my itunes under the iPhone.

Anyway I noticed it being slower too. Sometimes I'll type and the keys will freeze up on screen then all of a sudden they will get typed

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
What I'm concerned with is like 3Gb of "OTHER" that doesn't make any sense, in my itunes under the iPhone.

Anyway I noticed it being slower too. Sometimes I'll type and the keys will freeze up on screen then all of a sudden they will get typed

If you reinstall and restore from your backup, that 3gb will go down to 0.4gb. It's files not being removed properly when you remove/unsync thrm through iTunes (films/music etc)

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've noticed this as well. If you hold an icon to reorganize its much slower to respond.

I never used to subscribe to the paranoia of some people on here who's comments I've read, but I'm starting to think they may have been onto something.

Basically, there were comments made around the time the iPhone 3G got slowed to a crawl by iOS4, claiming that Apple deliberately slow down devices to entice people to upgrade.

As daft as it sounds, I can't help but wonder if these incremental iOS updates are just little by little slowing down the iPhone 4 performance so that the new iPhone looks a little more enticing when it comes round.

I'm probably being ridiculous, but iOS 4.2 is definitely more sluggish on the iPhone 4 than iOS 4.1.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Here's a semi-related question. What folder are the backups stored in? And is there a way to differentiate which backup you'd be restoring to?
I did a back up in summer 09, and I guess I chose the wrong back up, because I lost about 6 months of contact updates, etc. Can you rename the back ups, such as like "iphone 1-29-11"?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Here's a semi-related question. What folder are the backups stored in? And is there a way to differentiate which backup you'd be restoring to?
I did a back up in summer 09, and I guess I chose the wrong back up, because I lost about 6 months of contact updates, etc. Can you rename the back ups, such as like "iphone 1-29-11"?

You can view your iPhone back ups by going to iTunes preferences and looking under the "Devices" tab.

The back ups are actually named pretty close to what you suggested, are organised by date, and can be deleted from within the preference panel.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Ah, excellent, thank you!! I guess I never played enough detective to find it.

Much as the OP says, my phone is becoming very sluggish, especially in opening folders, so I'm going to give this a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.