Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I’ve had iPhones for many years and have always transferred all my pictures, notes, messages, and data via iTunes backup to my new iPhones.

Does this slow down the new iPhone? My concern is any little bugs or glitches might get transferred to.

Maybe starting clean would be better?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
There are people who favor both ways. I have used the direct transfer method on my last two new iPhones and it has worked perfectly. I don’t have time to re-setup a new phone and the direct transfer did it perfectly, all I had to do is reinsert my 3 digit security codes in my credit cards.

If you current phone is having problems then maybe setting up as a new phone will be best but if not . . . . .

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Setting up a device you want is rather time consuming and radical changes can drain energy fast. If you are 25 or younger, then sure. I’m not, so I prefer carrying backup with new devices.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apples back up and restore makes life so easy when you get your new iPhone. Everything is copied including wallpapers and your home pages etc. It shouldn’t in theory slow the new iPhone down compared to setting it up new, not that I’ve experienced anyway, but I’m super fussy about cleaning up trash on my iPhones to keep my storage and back up file as optimal as possible.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
First time I used this feature when uprdaing my phone and it's been so nice to have everything already set up. I can't say I've felt any kind of hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.