Does restoring an iphone mean that you will be able to get it fixed (warranty)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by siltears, Aug 2, 2010.

1. siltears macrumors newbie

Hi, so I'm new to this forum, so i wanted to ask something about the iphone before I buy it.

So i know that the Iphone 4 doesn't have unlocking yet. But i was just wondering, if you unlocked an iphone, and needed to have it serviced because of non-responsiveness to the screen or something, would you be able to fool the apple store into helping you if you restored the iphone to factory settings before bringing it in? Or would they be able to tell? or would they be really picky about it? Just wondering what people's experience with this has been.

The reason I want to unlock my phone is because i want to buy an iphone 4 in the states, and use it in Canada without the plan, since its cheaper this way.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

A restore makes the iPhone act factory fresh. You'll be fine.

3. siltears thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you had to do this? Or know anyone who has had to do this?

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I did it a few months ago. You want to restore. Then after you restore DONT restore a backup and go into settings > general > reset > erase all settings and content. Cause ev en after a restore jailbreak data will remain until you do the erase all content and settings from the phone. Genius couldn't tell and I walked out with a brand new 3GS

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

If you restore from a backup some settings will carry over not if you set up as new. If you setup as new there is no need to erase all settings and content and will only cause you to have to restore yet again..

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

It doesn't make you restore again. It just makes you plug in the phone to iTunes to activate. Which you'd want to do anyway to sync some stuff to make the phone look used.

7. siltears thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wondering CrAkD, did you also unlock your iphone, or did you only jailbreak? Would there be a difference between the two, in terms of resetting it? I think I read somewhere that it messes around with something, bootlocker? or something.

8. joe3681 macrumors member

You read too much. Youll be fine. Restore, setup as a new phone.

I've had to take my phone for service a few times. I restored, setup from new and it was fine. They gave me a new one right there just as usual. If you restore it takes away the jb/ul so they dont know.

9. ipodtouch3guser macrumors newbie

Apps

I want to keep my apps... Can I just update to latest firmware and all jailbroken apps would go away, or would they stay? Or can I select to take certain apps off? Really need this because if I break my iPod, I'm dead. Please help! :confused:

10. Kayan macrumors 6502

Apps that are available through Apple's store can always (with JB or not) be synced to your iTunes computer and then you'll always be able to regain access to them if you need to restore/update. JB'n apps are not synced in the same way, you'll need Pkgbackup to be safe, but Cydia also can track a user's app purchases to re-download. From the sounds of your confidence in JBing, you should do more reading or get someone that has before you do too much, because there is no way that you can "break your iPod" by doing software mods. There are similar threads about this topic, do a 10-second search and you'll learn a lot

11. ipodtouch3guser macrumors newbie

Apps

When I said break my iPod, I meant during the time of the jailbreak. I won't be able to fix because Apple is horrible in business (for instance, my iPod is 8gb. My brother's is 32gb. I'm not allowed to put a background on it with the 4.0 update and he is.) and Apple just doesn't like jailbreaks.

12. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Ive got an appointment at the genius bar tomorrow for my iphone 4. well, i was still on 4.0 as thats what my replacement a few weeks ago came with, but i was only able to get my blobs for 4.0.1. so, i just option+restore and chose the 4.0.1 software i had downloaded a few weeks ago. well, it came up and said that itd erase the software and install the new software. it did that and then i restored from a pre jailbreak backup(actually i haven't synced or backed up since the jailbreak) so should i be good to go at apple tomorrow?? or is there something I'm missing??

13. ipodtouch3guser macrumors newbie

Genius way to take jailbreak off!

I have an awesome way to take jailbreak off. First, connect to iTunes and sync. MAKE SURE It BACKS UP STATUS (just to be safe).
    Then press 'update', it'll update you to 4.0.2.All Jailbroken status will be off, and your iTunes status and music and all that will stay. I did it to mine and it worked like a charm! It only won't work for jailbroken devices with the VERY newest Redsnow, I think _.7.9, because it supports 4.0.2. All others should work. Oh, and can anyone tell me how to post a thread on forums.macrumors???