Does restoring an iphone, update the firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amnost, Jul 4, 2010.

1. amnost macrumors regular

Say, if I had 3.0 on my iPhone and I restored it today, would it automatically put iOS 4 on it?

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Yep because Apple stopped signing 3.1.3. Unless of course you backed up your shsh blobs for 3.1.3 then you can restore to 3.1.3 again...

3. amnost thread starter macrumors regular

4. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Sorry. I forgot, what phone do you have? If it's a 2G or 3G phone than you can restore to 3.2 without updating but if it's the 3GS then it will only restore to 4.0 I believe

5. amnost thread starter macrumors regular

It's a 3G, but since the 3G CAN be updated to 4.0, that doesn't make too much sense? :confused:

6. mattydee87 macrumors regular

The 3G can be restored/updated to any version you want so restoring will not update it to 4.0. The 3GS and iPhone 4 however can't be downgraded once Apple stops signing the firmware. Now 4.0 is out they stopped signing 3.2 so anyone restoring their 3GS it would update/restore to 4.0 because 3.2 can't be signed any longer. Does that make sense?

Basically because you have the 3G, if you restore your phone it shouldn't update the firmware at all.

7. amnost thread starter macrumors regular

Great.... are you positive, though?

8. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Pretty positive yep but don't have a 3G to try it with. However to be a 100% positive, download your desire firmware (3.2?) from somewhere (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ for example) then when in iTunes, hold down shift while clicking restore and select the downloaded firmware. That way it will 100% definitely restore to the firmware you downloaded and not update it.

9. amnost thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone else out there know for sure 100%?