Does retail store check for proof of being a student/teacher?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vegasj76, Aug 25, 2009.

1. vegasj76 macrumors member

I just got off the phone with a rep from 800-my-apple and they basically told me to just say I went to a qualifying school that's nearby when my girlfriend's school didn't show up in their list. She said that they don't require proof when ordering online and she didn't think they would ask for it at a retail store, but she wasn't sure on that.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most the time they do it seems. What that is, varies. Majority it seems they want an I.D., but plenty have reported solely being asked. I imagine that teachers are checked more then students, especially in the past couple of months because of college and Back-To-School.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

In-store purchases require ID. Online is hit-or-miss, but they ramp up the frequency of random checks during the BTS promo. Online orders have been known to be held until verification is complete. However, if there is a store near you and your girlfriend does have a legitimate ID, a simple flash and you should be on your way out the door with your student purchase, even if it doesn't show up in the list of schools online.

4. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

Darn. Well, my girlfriend is a teacher, but shes only in her 20s and shes a lot cuter than I am. Maybe I can send her in there and tell her which one to get and see if they will let her slide ;)

5. vegasj76 thread starter macrumors member

She's a teacher at a beauty school. The id is a photo id issued by the state that says she is an instructor. Think that would work?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is the school and accredited higher education institution?

Apart from that, my dad went to the Apple Store and they gave him a student discount despite the fact that he didn't claim to be a student nor did does he look like one. Whatever happened, he told me he got the student discount. I think it's optional (or at least not strictly enforced) with regard to ID checking.

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I work retail, and at our store (major retail chain), we don't check ID for academic purchases...however, you can't return the software if you open it.

For example with Adobe apps, once you purchase the software, you have to contact them and show proof of being a student or teacher.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you work at the Apple Retail Store? Just wondering since I returned Aperture 2 a few months ago; I even told the cashier that I opened it and he and his manager were both there and they just gave me a refund.

9. BayouBengal macrumors regular

I have a faculty/staff ID for a university and I was asked for mine when I bought my MacBook last October. I think all the sales guy did was verify that the university was eligible.

10. run-kmc macrumors member

I didn't have my college ID at the time of a purchase at the Apple Store, so I just logged into my student account on the spot to prove it.

11. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

Does retail store check for proof of being a student/teacher

I tell you what I noticed today at my local Apple store in Allentown Pa. I was purchasing a Nike + ipod sport kit. In front of me was a few young girls sort of holding the line up. What was really going on I found out, they were checking all of the student I.D. s before ringing em up. So yeah I guess it's safe to say they may check it depending on where & who your dealing with.

Just giving you a heads up.

12. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

They checked my sisters teaching license when I went in with her to get a computer.

13. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I pulled out my then-recently-not-completely-valid college ID when I bought my mac a few years back. It's nothing to get worried over, about the same as getting a student discount at the theaters (which I still do 2 years later).

14. trup522 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just bought a MBP with the student deal last week. I graduated in May but still have my ID. Guy at the apple store just asked to see it, then asked for my drivers license to make sure the names matched and I was out the door with $100 off, a free ipod touch, and a free printer.

15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

when i bought mine in store they just asked me what school i attended, and what the zip code was. They never asked me for my ID.

I think that if you look like you are a college student they don't really question it, but if you are a teacher, or if you look really young/old for a college student, they will probably ask for some form of an ID!

16. rancorus macrumors newbie

I was asked to show mine when I bought my MacBook in an Apple Store but the girl barely looked at it. I think that if you look the part they will give it to you even if you don't have solid proof.

17. dbwie macrumors 6502

yes

I was asked for student ID when purchasing a laptop at the Apple Store. I have never been asked to provide student ID when purchasing a computer or anything else through Apples online education store. I have often bought student versions of software through amazon.com, which has never asked me for a student ID. (I am a student, so I have not abused the system! :) )

18. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

When I got my recent mini I told the rep helping me that I work for British Telecom, but that I am working at MIT. He looked up both and determined that I'd get a bigger discount going with the MIT one (which I already knew... for some reason the educational discount is better on lower-end stuff and the BT one is better on the higher-end stuff). I asked if he needed to see my ID and as I was reaching into my pocket to get it he said no need.

On the other hand, when I ordered Snow Leopard on Monday, there was no discount through MIT and $5 off ordering through BT (guess which I used :D). There was no proof needed there either, but to find the page you have to go through the BT intranet.