Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
It does to me.
Yes, they squeezed some battery life out of the Core M and put pretty lipstick on it with Retina. USB C is cool.
But man, Intel's bungled Broadwell roll out and the wait for Iris has me kicking myself. And I play soccer, so I can kick pretty well :p

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Sarcasm love it. Make a post with half a statement then give a sarcastic reply.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Sarcasm love it. Make a post with half a statement then give a sarcastic reply.

Irony. I love it. Especially when people think they are not being ironic. No?

But seriously, do you think the MBP is real progress or a band aid product? It's an expensive movie watching laptop for students who use simple software. Fine? That can be found for $800.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Irony. I love it. Especially when people think they are not being ironic. No?

But seriously, do you think the MBP is real progress or a band aid product? It's an expensive movie watching laptop for students who use simple software. Fine? That can be found for $800.

Ok let's brake this down.

Base mini - the only issue with that machine is it needs an ssd in the base model. With an ssd it's a quite and snappy machine but even in its base state it's still fit for purpose.

Mbr - again it's fine for the basics, yes it's priced high but the air was. Innovation costs money. The machine isn't meant to be a processing powerhouse and some of us are happy with the machine.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The rMB has the same processor performance as a 2011 MBA and better graphics than a 2012 MBA. This isn't like the ARM chip race where you are getting 2x gains every year. For most people and most tasks, the boost in processor performance will be negligible.

----------

Base mini - the only issue with that machine is it needs an ssd in the base model. With an ssd it's a quite and snappy machine but even in its base state it's still fit for purpose.

I agree. It was sad to see the Mini loose its quad-core option, but it's still a fine computer that can fill it's purpose.

Also, that's more Apple's fault than Intels. Apple chose not to redesign the logic board to accompany a quad-core intel option. It's not like Intel denied access to the chips.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I agree. It was sad to see the Mini loose its quad-core option, but it's still a fine computer that can fill it's purpose.

Also, that's more Apple's fault than Intels. Apple chose not to redesign the logic board to accompany a quad-core intel option. It's not like Intel denied access to the chips.

Maybe. But, wait. What quad core Broadwell i7? Did I miss something? I thought it still wasn't out. I'll eat crow if I missed it, but I did a quick search and only find some tests.

Eh. I typed a bunch of stuff, but its just me. This is just the first time I have been caught in a year where I need a new machine and can't get what I want at the price I want.

I'll live. :D

I'm not intentionally trolling, but I am curious if others got a little deja vu with the rMB like I did when seeing the specs. I'll have to go up to the store and see if they have Logic loaded on anything in my price range and bring some of my mixes.

I have been sitting here with my awesome Dell monitor for a year because my screen broke on my MBP and I have been waiting for a mini. Unfortunately I am easily swayed by internet grumbling. Not my finest quality.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
It's game over if Apple makes the next mini with a Core M.

Although the price could drop to $399......

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's game over if Apple makes the next mini with a Core M.

Although the price could drop to $399......

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did when the next gen processors are released. You gotta know that Apple is looking at how small they can make the Mini by using the MB logic board and without the power supply in it. Oh, and no fan. I wouldn't even be surprised if they strip down the rear panel to include a couple legacy USB ports, 1 or 2 USB-C ports, only 1 (if that) Thunderbolt, and nix the SD slot altogether.

Gotta have an SSD though; no spinners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.