Does running the fans help with the computer longevity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darnocs, Jun 20, 2017.

1. darnocs macrumors regular

I have an Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I was wondering if running the fans at mid or high-speed on a regular basis would help with the life of the computer? Is there a temperature I should try to keep the Mac under?

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

this is a good question. on the one hand, there is some evidence that running discrete gpus at full throttle can cause problems, your mac is supposed to regulate fan speed on its own as needed.

in any case using some compressed air to make sure the various vents are dust free would be a good start.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

13" 2011 has no dGPU. CPU & iGPU will throttle appropriately. Don't worry about regulating fan speeds.

It can't hurt to take off the bottom and blow away any dust, of course. Beyond that, I wouldn't be concerned. If hardware's gonna die, it's gonna die; an extra 400RPM on the fans won't change that.

4. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

the best is to put it in the freezer and leave it there forever and ever and everever. Mine looks like new ;)

5. KGB7 macrumors 6502a

KGB7

More air equals more dust.

If you know how; tear it down, clean it and replace thermal paste.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Don't worry about it and just keep using your computer as you see fit.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

On the 2011 13" I wouldn't worry about it, better off having the dust cleaned out of the cooling system given it's around 6 years old now.

Q-6