Does SD slot suppost SDHC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sknott, Jun 8, 2009.

1. sknott macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have been patiently waiting to buy my MacBook until after WWDC. Luckily, it seems as if my waiting had paid off! :)

I'm soo glad they added an SD slot to the lower end MacBook. However, I just had one question. Will that SD slot support SDHC cards?

I know it sounds like a dumb question since the obvious answer would be yes. I have a HP laptop now and it had an SD slot, but my new SDHC card does work in it. So I was wondering if it is the same in a mac.

It's not like the end of the world if it doesn't, but it would be even nicer for me if it did.

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think it would be pretty stupid not to at this point. Most SD cards are SDHC.

3. motownflip macrumors regular

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I think the obvious answer would be yes, who would release something today that didn't support SDHC? :p

Also whilst this doesn't apply to all devices - firmware updates can give the functionality. Eg Pentax released a firmware update for some of it's older dSLRs enabling SDHC, but one of my older SD card readers had no such option.

5. sknott thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replys. That is what I had figured.

6. mrj205 macrumors regular

I ordered the new 13" MBP today, and had the same question. So I asked a rep in chat and was told the reader will support SDHC. WooHoo!

7. primalman macrumors 6502a

Use the Google, look on the Apple support site, and all is revealed!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553

From the site:

8. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Already confirmed above I guess but just physically tried it mine and works fine. (8gb SDHC)

9. Herrow macrumors regular

Great for AVCHD and consumer cameras! ...but what about the Pro dSLR using compact flash?

10. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

^ Screwed out. Thanks apple :mad:

Oh well, a quick switch of my XTi to the XSi with live view and SDHC won't hurt ;)

11. Conversion macrumors member

Conversion

Can't wait to get my MacBook Pro 15" next week.

But can someone tell me how much does the SD card stick out of the machine when it's plugged in? Maybe post a pic? Thanks.

12. ZilSemaj macrumors newbie

Any Luck?

Ok... So my SDHC card isn't working at all either. Uh... What did you end up doing that made it work?!

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

From the Apple Tech Specs page (doesn't anyone read anymore?):

SDXC supports cards up to 64GB, and is of course backwards compatible with SDHC and SD.

Conversion, from my experience, just a little under half the card sticks out when using it on the MBP's. You won't want to leave it in there longer than it takes to download your photos or whatever else you're using it for.

jW