Does sharing my MBP's serial number compromise my privacy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Libertine Lush, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Libertine Lush, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I'm figuring out how to best sell my 2010 MBP. I came across some sites that offer quotes. One (http://www.expercom.com/pages/tradein) first requests my serial number. Should I have any concerns in sharing that? Does it compromise my privacy in any way or allow someone to mess with my Applecare account by possessing that #?

Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you're fine. There's nothing they can do with the serial number that compromises your privacy.

3. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wonderful. Thanks a lot.

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't sell yours to any of those "We buy Apple products" sites if I were you. You're pretty much guaranteed to get a low ball offer from them, and they'll try to convince you that you're getting the best price for your item.

I'd put up a listing on Craigslist, and if you can't get any bites within the first week, put it up on eBay. Even though you'll have to pay fees, you're probably still going to get more than through any of the product buying sites.

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I'm always weary of sharing my serial number because I don't want people to mooch off my AppleCare phone support and cause a problem with it. I'm not sure if that's a valid concern or not but I'm pretty diligent about it.:p

6. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

agreed.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's pretty unlikely since they usually ask for your name when you call. Having your serial number won't tell anyone your name.

8. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I suspected that much, but the one appeal is the convenience, and in the case of Gazelle, they appear reputable; they're offering $769 for my mid-2010 15" i7 500GB. I haven't dealt with a bad buyer in eBay before, so I don't know how much of a hassle that might be.

Craiglist is still a consideration for me. Only issue is I've never used it before, so I'd have to do some reading on what not to do, what to watch out for, etc. And I live, not by my own choice, in a semi-small suburb, so I'm only guessing there'd be less buyers interested.

As for eBay, I used it without problem many years ago. I'm only hesitant now as I've never tried selling a high value item through them. Part of me wonders: what if the buyer, for a manufactured reason, decides he doesn't want it, and upon sending it back, returns it with a tiny scratch somewhere; so I wonder what the eBay policy is then, and then just imagining this scenario now is making me fatigued. Nonetheless, I just checked eBay while typing this. They say, in the text below the product image, that the average selling price for my model is about $1,000 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MACBO...33467716?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item43b110a844 -- not my listing), before eBay fees and shipping costs. So compared to Gazelle, there would be about a $250 difference, which I think I'm okay with, as a hedge against potential inconveniences, dishonesty.

9. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yeah but your name doesn't matter. AppleCare is transferable as it is tied to the serial number of your device. Someone could call in and say they bought this MBP on eBay, here's the serial number. It's just a hassle I would rather avoid. I always block the serial out when I sell my stuff on eBay or craigslist.

10. BIGYOO macrumors newbie

Apple serial numbers

i would be very careful about giving your serial number out to anyone.
    i have heard of this scam whereby people selling macbooks on ebay (with apple care extended warranty) ask for your serial number. they then duplicate your serial number into a dudd machine or one that the warranty has expired which boosts the selling value. apparently you can buy the program (some kind of eprom programmer) on a usb stick off the net. be careful dude.