Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrock

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi guys,

Recently purchased a new Macbook, my first Mac as it happens too. I know all about the rumours of a update but I'm not fussed and needed a new laptop as soon as possibly. Ordered 2.16GHz White, 1GB Ram, a case and a mouse.

I placed my order on the 16th Oct, and made sure every item was "dispatches within 24hrs." However, nothing was shipped until the 19th (Friday). And now nothing will be delivered until the 31st, according to the status page.

Is this normal? I've bought PCs and components a lot in the past and nothing has ever taken that long. I know about the issue between working days and weekends, but seriously; 5-7 days business shipping effectively becomes two whole weeks between order and delivery.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Hi guys,

Recently purchased a new Macbook, my first Mac as it happens too. I know all about the rumours of a update but I'm not fussed and needed a new laptop as soon as possibly. Ordered 2.16GHz White, 1GB Ram, a case and a mouse.

I placed my order on the 16th Oct, and made sure every item was "dispatches within 24hrs." However, nothing was shipped until the 19th (Friday). And now nothing will be delivered until the 31st, according to the status page.

Is this normal? I've bought PCs and components a lot in the past and nothing has ever taken that long. I know about the issue between working days and weekends, but seriously; 5-7 days business shipping effectively becomes two whole weeks between order and delivery.

Some idea of where in the world you are and where you ordered from might help us a bit here.....

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
I think some of it might have to do with the product that was ordered:

I ordered my iMac on July 31st, and I had it in front of my door on August 3rd (I'm on the East Coast of Canada and it was shipped from Ontario). A friend of mine who ordered an iPod last year had a much longer wait time - I think he said it was shipped from as far as China. I've read posts regarding similar experiences with Macbooks.

Different products must be done exclusively in different warehouses I guess. That's the only thing I can come up with.

mrock

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Sorry, I did mean to put that in the original post.

I'm in the UK and ordered from the UK HE Online Store. I checked with an Apple Rep before ordering and he said shipping was from China.

Memory's failing this evening - I also ordered an iPod Nano on the Back To School promotion.

Thanks for the hints so far.. guess I'm just trying to ascertain what's causing the delay.

jbstew32

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
the same thing happened to me when I ordered my iPod online a few years back. It honestly took 3-4 weeks to get it since it was sent from China. I didn't realize it until after I placed the order, so I was kind of pissed for about 10 minutes. The wait made it all the more cooler when it arrived though :)

Unless your machine is customized, they should give you an option of in-store pickup...giving you a list of local stores that have your product in stock. I think it'd be useful if they did that at least

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
If I'm not mistaken last week or this week is Golden Week in China, this has put everything to a screeching halt as far as movement of shipments and everything goes.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Sorry, I did mean to put that in the original post.

I'm in the UK and ordered from the UK HE Online Store. I checked with an Apple Rep before ordering and he said shipping was from China.

Memory's failing this evening - I also ordered an iPod Nano on the Back To School promotion.

Thanks for the hints so far.. guess I'm just trying to ascertain what's causing the delay.
Well at first I was assuming that maybe your problems were due to the postal service strike, but then again I'm not entirely certain if Apple use Royal Mail for deliveries in the UK. That would be my first guess anyway. :)

cleverbloke

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
UK
hmm i got an idea that might be pie in the sky

could be apple are bringing new macbooks out next week and they have delayed your order so you get the new macbook

guess i might get shouted down here saying this but it is a about a 5% possibilty

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
hmm i got an idea that might be pie in the sky

could be apple are bringing new macbooks out next week and they have delayed your order so you get the new macbook

guess i might get shouted down here saying this but it is a about a 5% possibilty

If the Apple was going to update the macbooks, the OP would be far outside of the normal range. Assuming that we see updates even tomorrow (not likely), then he would still have ordered his a full 8 days prior to the update, well outside the time it takes to change the order.

I believe the OP's situation is simply the result of the storm's backlog. Many customers had trouble getting their products on time because of the storm that struck earlier this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.