Does Sierra allow you to disable built-in display?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by davidcmc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Until El Capitan, OS X/macOS doesn't have a friendly UI to disable the built-in display while an external one is attached. All you can do is fully decrease the built-in display brightness, but even though there's apparently nothing being displayed, if you look very closely you'll notice that the system is still rendering image on the built-in display.

Yea, I can use in clamshell mode, but I'd rather not let the heat created by the chassi internals hit the display. I know Apple recommends using this clamshell mode, but I still think the user should be free to disable the built-in display whenever he wants.

The brightness trick isn't very good because it still makes the GPU use it's processing power to render useless image on a display. It indeed consumes processing power, as you can read this testimony: https://discussions.apple.com/message/30390201#message30390201.

2. leman macrumors G3

If you need this feature, submit a bug report to Apple with a feature request. But I would't be very optimistic here — Apple is not known for implementing niche functionality like this.

P.S. There is of course Ctrl+Shift+Power, but I have no idea what it does for multi-monitor setup

3. davidcmc thread starter macrumors 6502

I remember Leopard and Snow Leopard with this feature. They've removed it for some unknown reason (maybe to force people to use the Retina displays?).

The Ctrl + Shift + Power shortcut actually puts ALL displays (including the external one) to sleep. It's useless for what I want to do here.

Thank you.

4. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

Theres an App for that :O

I really hate the way macOS handles multiple monitors but I've got "DisableMonitor.app" and "SwitchResX" which make display settings much better.

Unfortunately you'll still need a third party solution on Sierra

5. tom753 macrumors newbie

I use a small permanent magnet to disable the build-in display. The MacBook will get the signal that the lid is closed. As keyboard and trackpad remain active that's a perfect workaround for me.

You will have to find the right spot to put the magnet for your MacBook. For a MacBookPro late 2008 it's on the right side just below the speaker...
    IMG_6800.JPG

6. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

That's cool. Where can one buy such magnets?