Does sim swap work with 7.1 ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by blacksurfer, Mar 11, 2014.

1. blacksurfer macrumors regular

I'm on an ATT MVNO and I can only send MMS by doing the sim swap with a t-mobile sim then ejecting it and entering MMS APN settings. Does anyone know if it's still possible, before I upgrade to 7.1, to do the sim swap method?

Thanks in advance.....

2. maximini macrumors member

I am unable to SIM swap on 7.1 on an unlocked AT&T 4S. I hope there is a workaround as MMS no longer work.

3. blacksurfer thread starter macrumors regular

Same here on my daughters 4S. You're able to enter the APN settings but I've noticed the mms APN of att.mvno changes fast to "phone"

I wonder if APNEedit will work now even if we get a jailbreaak?

4. maximini macrumors member

Likely there will be a jailbreak but I hope that is not needed. I don't know about APNEdit. I saw Carrier is now AT&T 16.0 and was AT&T 15.5 before the transition from 7.0.6 to 7.1... Wonder if this could be changed and make SIM swap possible again... Right now, you can edit the APN settings all you want but they don't stick, at least not with the known methods I've tried. A shame in this day and age! I will not buy any AT&T-based phone after this experience, that's for sure. The phone is supposed to be unlocked (as iTunes said) so why is it we can not access all features and make them work!? Hopefully someone somewhere finds a fix.

I wonder if we could get MMS working on a non-AT&T MVNO, e.g. one based on T-Mo but then I am not sure the 4S has the bands to support HSDPA+ speeds, not even sure Edge speeds. If somebody could clarify that would be great!

5. blacksurfer thread starter macrumors regular

The best fix would be for ATT MVNos like Airvoice, Redpocket, H2O, Blackwireless, will have the capability to auto-add the MMS APN settings just like GoPhone, Straighttalk and AIO wireless.

6. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

7.1 is also causing issues for people with hotspots.

Coming off a fresh installation of 7.1, I just discovered that my cellular data wasn't working (usually on wi-fi most of the time), and could only be restored if I downloaded a APN configuration file from the unlockit.co.nz site, or directly from my carrier (H2O).

I don't know if it's because I did a clean erase on my phone after installing 7.1, or if the new AT&T 16.0 carrier profile is at fault, but either way, I can confirm the SIM swap trick no longer works.

While attempting the swap, I did notice that the MMS domain was already set up, but pointing to mms.mobile.att.net instead. I did the swap twice--the first time, everything, including the APN domains, seemed to "stick," but I still couldn't get any data after restoring the SIM.

The second time, the APNs reverted themselves to "phone" after a brief pause and it was clear that it wouldn't work.

I'm not exactly sure how the settings and carrier profiles are supposed to interact, or affect UI, but under the previous 7.0.x setup, sans carrier configuration file, everything worked, even if it was still hard to tell which settings were being used, since there was no user accessible way to see, much less change them without the swap.

Can anyone explain why this stuff is hidden and can't be altered? Are they carrier rules, or Apple's rules?

I understand that older versions of iOS weren't as restrictive.

Living without MMS is no big deal, but I don't understand why some carriers allow it, and some don't.

7. maximini macrumors member

Yes ideally all MVNOs should push their MMS settings automatically.

TheIntruder, I had similar experiences to yours though my data did not need to be reset. I am curious when you write "the first time, everything, including the APN domains, seemed to "stick,"", why do you think it stuck, and how did you make it stick? Were you able to send/receive MMS at all even temporarily? I believe not since you say your data wasn't working, which is needed for MMS itself to work I think., but I'd still like to know.

In my case, none of my MMS APN settings stick, which would be key. Also I don't know who is responsible for this situation: whatever is in "AT&T 16.0" from AT&T or Apple itself with iOS but I am sure frustrated and this is one reason for me and I assume others down the road to consider neither AT&T nor Apple. I don't know what they are thinking preventing people from spending money on MMS yet I understand they would want us to spend even more on text plans we don't really need... So frustrating.

8. blacksurfer thread starter macrumors regular

If you must have MMS on ATT signal the choices are AIO, GoPhone or Straighttalk on iPhones. If the settings won't stick now with sim swamp they may not stick if a JB becomes availabe with APNedit software.

9. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I've tried it again a few times, and I have been unsuccessful.

I misspoke when I said it "stuck" that first time; reinserting the AT&T SIM causes it to revert every time.

I did come across one anecdotal account that said they got it to work, after it initially seemed to fail, but unfortunately, that person didn't recall their steps.

For now, I guess we'll have to see what happens, and whether a new OS update or carrier update fixes things.

10. maximini macrumors member

That's very encouraging, as long as this person was not on an AT&T-owned MVNO (i.e. neither AIO nor GoPhone) as these seem to be ok. Do you have a link to the corresponding thread?

I am wondering what causes the settings to revert to AT&T's settings rather than staying as entered. Not sure it's iOS or AT&T pushing what they want. If the latter then there might be a way by cutting communication with AT&T in a certain way to get the settings to stick. I don't know but am trying to figure it out...

11. maximini macrumors member

I just found at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5983517?start=135&tstart=0 (where people have issues with tethering no longer working because 7.1 prevents APN settings from sticking) that someone (streifi) has learned Apple is preparing a 7.1.x fix that I would think should also apply to our pb. Will be on the lookout for that hoping of course it doesn't break something else!

12. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I hope they're right.

But I've never put much faith in such assertions from support personnel. They are wrong as often as they are right. We'll see :)

13. maximini macrumors member

Intruder: would you have a link to where you read this?

14. maximini macrumors member

And now a feature story on MacRumors itself: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/19/ios-7-1-personal-hotspot-issues/

Hopefully a fix is just around the corner as I loved iOS 7 before this mess!!!

15. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Sorry, I don't. I came across it in the comment section of a site while doing searches on "sim swap."

I didn't put much faith in it since it didn't give any details.

16. maximini macrumors member

Thanks for your clarification, Intruder. Will keep trying other methods and report in case of success.

17. maximini macrumors member

iOS 7.1.1 is out. Does it restore the SIM swap?