Does Siri sound muffled to anyone else?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by roccobladr, Sep 19, 2012.

1. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Ever since this update I feel that Siri sounds a little muffled like shes got a stuffy nose or something.

But sirisly (ok im done) has anyone noticed that she sounds a little "off". I first noticed it while trying out the turn by turn navigation in Maps, but then I tried Siri on my girls new ipad and siri sounds muffled once again!

Am i going crazy or does anyone else notice this?

2. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I was just using turn-by-turn a little while ago and Siri sounded the same to me as it did in iOS 5; at least I think so anyway.

4. timize macrumors regular

timize

I know exactly what you're talking about! She sounds very muffled and not as crisp as before. No idea why.

5. Flash69 macrumors member

You are not going crazy.

I noticed it the very first time she replied to my question. She sounds more computer like. Yes I know that sounds odd, however something with her voice has changed for the worst. Before most of her words were more polished, now they sound exactly like a 1980s computer game voice.

6. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

You're not crazy! I was just about to make a post about this. She doesn't sound right at all. I think this is just a glitch and will be smoothed out soon since everyone isn't experiencing the problem.

7. roccobladr thread starter macrumors 6502

wow ok glad its not just me!

and for the record I was using:

iPhone 4S ATT 16gb
    New iPad 16gb wifi

8. bpa1093 macrumors member

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

10. stevemiller macrumors 65816

yeah asking the same question on the iphone vs the ipad results in two different voice qualities for me. at first i just thought it was the ipad speaker that made it muffled somehow, but the overall voice is definitely more robotic.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

She sounds muffled and appears to talk slower on my iPhone 4S.

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Mine 'seems' ok.

Ive always wanted siri to sound like the computer of star trek. {Majel Barrett}

Instead as a Uk user I get what sounds like a Butler !! :rolleyes:

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I noticed she sounds different too. Like a lower bit rate, and definitely more synthesized.

Do Siri's words get sent OTA from Apple, like a streaming audio file?

If so, I could see Apple nudging down the bit rate on her voice to save some bandwidth and speed up her replies, which do seem to be a little faster than pre-6.

14. ryanide macrumors 6502

yep, but she doesn't know why!!

Maybe she has a cold... But definitely sounds worse.

15. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Guys the low quality Siri voice has been covered many times before.

When you install a new version of IOS or set up a new iPhone/Ipad for the first time, Siri starts off with a low quality voice, seems to have fewer responses, and is a little slower.

After the OS/device has been activated for a little while, usually within 24hrs, I think it does an update from Apple's servers which switches it to the high quality voice along with quicker more detailed responses.

Its normal and Ive noticed it every time, because the initial voice sounds so poor. Its fine.

16. Flash69 macrumors member

Thank you sir. I didn't know that. I will test more today.

17. Adamfarmiloe macrumors newbie

It's been 48 hours and iPad 3 sounds crap I revived iPhone 5 today that sounds crap too good job that I am understanding not a galaxy 3 convert whose voice is excellent come on apple GET IT SORTED

18. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Like Sir Ruben said, it appears this voice is the "pre loaded" voice, which probably is localized for all countries, it seems Siri downloads a much better localized voice in the first few days. There is a LOT of people updating phones, give it some time, at least she WORKS while the voice is being updated.

19. samanthas macrumors regular

20. Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

Yes my UK Siri sounded "Muffled" (Build Week 35). This Evening I took it back to the Apple Store and got a replacement iPhone 5. Back home now all setup again, the replacement sounds just the same "Muffled" or Drunk. :mad: After reading this thread, it had better improve overnight or it will go back for a full refund! :mad: :mad:

21. hashsi99 macrumors member

Go to settings. Sound. Uncheck change with buttons. Use volume keys on side to raise volume. Turn change with buttons back on.

Try Siri.

I noticed my clicks (when locking and unlocking phone) are also muffled sometimes. But whenever a text comes thru or I play a song or video it corrects itself.

Very buggy overall.

22. fgullama macrumors member

I noticed this the first day I loaded IOS6 on my iPad 3. The problem has since resolved itself. Strange...

Frank

23. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

Same with me on my iPhone 4S, in the UK. The evening I updated to iOS6 it sounded odd, but the next morning it was fine.

24. lak601 macrumors newbie

Muffled sound on iPad 4th Gen

I just bought iPad 4th Gen last night and it's not just Siri that sounds muffled. Now I've already read the replay where it says it may take 1-3 days for Siri to update but that doesn't include other sound effects now, does it?

I have iPad 2 as well and the sound quality is better than my new one. Which makes absofu***tely no sense!

For example, i compared the new iPad and iPad 2 side by side and the text sent (swoosh) sounds much crispier in iPad 2 then in the new iPad. And same applies when locking and unlocking the devices too.

I guess muffled sound is a good way to describe it but also it sounds like the speaker is covered with a cloth (sounds thick which low treble).

I'm very particular about these things as they're expensive toys.

I'll wait for a couple of days and if the problem still persists, I'll take it back to Apple store. Return it. If the Apple Rep asks me to try another one, I will open it up and try the sounds (Not Siri) right then and there and see what happens.

Please let me know what you guys think about this post! Thanks. I'll let you know what happens! :)

Oh and I have iPhone 5 and I HAVE HAD NO SOUND PROBLEMS WITH SIRI OR OTHER SOUNDS SINCE DAY 1!

25. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

siri sounds normal to me. she always talks kind of slow so i sped that up in settings.