Does sjobs@apple.com really work for MBP replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidgoduke, Jan 7, 2010.

1. davidgoduke macrumors member

Someone I know recently told me about how they were having multiple issues with their MBP after 2 years of use so he emailed sjobs@apple.com and sent a physical letter to the cupertino headquarters complaining about the poor performance of his computer and talking about how he has been a loyal apple customer for years. I highly doubt Steve Jobs actually reads these emails.. I'm guessing they're redirected to a high status Apple customer support rep. But sure enough, two days later after sending both the email and letter his local apple store manager gave him a call apologizing for the issues and offered him a brand new maxed out MBP. I don't understand it, but I have a 3 year old MBP that has undergone multiple repairs and is still having issues. I'm considering taking his course of action and emailing the sjobs@apple.com address. Does anyone have any similar experiences with this and can give me their feedback? thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

have you tried talking to a manager at an apple store? usually they are pretty good about your issues regarding repairs and apple care in general. go back to the last store where you had it serviced and ask to talk to someone there.

4. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

yeah i was thinking of doing that but im pretty sure they don't have that power and they would just offer me a coupon or just suggest i get it repaired again. i have applecare too so i still have a year of coverage. but i'm tired of repairs.

5. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

they do. i had some problems with my black macbook around the time the new unibody macbooks were released.

i had my macbook "repaired" three times but they never fixed the problem completely. I complained in the survey and the manager from the store called me and offered to replace it with the unibody version since they didnt stock the black macbooks anymore. i went in the next day and then had it swapped.

6. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

oh alright. i think i'll try emailing "steve jobs" first and see if i get a response. if not ill just go and talk to a manager.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

/eyeroll. You have it backwards.

8. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Always seek support through the proper chain of command first before going directly to the big guy. Support tech > Manager > Regional Manager > Executives. That way, when you do go to the top you can have a nice history list so they can perform a proper investigation.

I didn't e-mail 'sjobs' until I exhausted ALL my other options.

9. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

Well I have contacted AppleCare support about the issues but I haven't gone to a manager yet... I guess I'll do that first

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hopefully you have Applecare and it's still in force. Applecare speaks LOUDLY in terms of a replacement. I was just about to have my 5th repair on my 24" iMac. I made an appointment at the genius bar, but I called Apple customer relations and explained my issues the day before my genius appointment. They saw my repair history (thankfully Apple logs everything) and offered me a replacement. They offered the new 27" 3.06 ghz model. I asked if it would be possible to pay to upgrade to the Quad-Core i7? They were very nice and accepted and they set up my exchange promptly. The Applecare really made the difference. I had my Powerbook replaced and the support rep at Apple Customer Relations said my existing Applecare is what opened the door for a replacement without hassle.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I know this is kinda off topic but after your 3 years is almost up and Apple gives you a brand new machine, do they also give you a new year of warrantee?

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends, but usually not.

13. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

WEll I already sent an email to sjobs@apple.com on wednesday 1/6/10 and I haven't gotten a response yet. So should I call AppleCare and see if they'll offer me a replacement?

14. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

not if you've only had 2-3 repairs. you'll need at least 4 repairs of major components. Even if you had every single part of the computer replaced on the 3rd repair, they still won't give you a replacement. When you bought Applecare, you did not pay for a replacement service. you paid for a free repair service. I know firsthand how inconvenient sending out your computer for repair is - mine was sent out 5 times before I got a replacement. I had sent out the email by the second repair....

15. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm hoping they will make an exception and allow me a replacement with 3 repairs instead of 4 seeing as I've purchased over $5K of Apple products over the past couple years. But I'll see if I even get a reply on Monday.

16. DaReaper macrumors member

I doubt that he reads those email.. he prolly has filters that send that right to the spam box or to tech support...

17. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I find that it's usually three attempts to fix the same issue. BTW, $5K in Apple products? newbie:rolleyes:

18. davidgoduke thread starter macrumors member

haha it's more like $8K I forgot 2 other computers. but trust me I know thats nothing compared to some other people

19. token=token macrumors newbie

token=token

what parts are considered major ? ive had replaced:

- 3x display
    - 1x dvd drive
    - 1x left speaker
    - 2x battery

and acording to this im gonna have logic board replaced. also my battery is cca 200 cycles and already showing about 75% health and on top of that it gives me "Replace battery" or smthn . I have applecare for another 6months.

Do you guys think I should ask for replacement ? Im using 2008 2.5ghz 15" MBP

20. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Your brand loyalty has nothing to do with getting a replacement. Apple is not going to check how many purchases you have made in a past. And for what it's worth, $8K is really not that much money when it comes to Apple products. I have no exact figure, but I'm probably around $50K and not once has Apple said anything about me being a long-term loyal customer.

And for what it's worth, you have to have a reoccurring issue for you to get a total replacement. For example, if your superdrive goes out and gets replaced - then maybe you need a screen replacement later? Those are counted as separate incidents. However, if you consistently have the same kind of problem, they will replace your computer after 3 attempts to repair the same issue. But first they will offer another repair or replacement with a refurbished model if it's over a year old. Apple is really good at keeping a repair history so you need to go through the correct channels. Apple won't replace a machine that is 2 years old simply because you have had random problems with it. You really have to demonstrate that you bought a lemon and have done everything over the past 2 years to resolve the issues.

One last thing. Does anyone really believe that Steve reads email that is sent to that address? That address is famous; it has been posted in thousands of places on the web. Imagine the amount of junk mail that gets sent to it, let alone the millions of customers who have access! For Steve to find your personal email sent to him would be highly unlikely.

21. rebby macrumors 6502

I had a white Macbook that was in for repairs a number of times. Everything from failed harddrive, bad system board, and case cracks. The last time I brought it in it was due to case cracks around several of the screws (tech must have tightened them too much). My AppleCare was only a few months away from expiring so I brought up my concerns about this machine lasting even a day or two past that date. The tech at the store was very understanding. He took a good look at my computer and the upgrades that I'd performed on it (harddrive & memory) and offered me a trade in value of $300 more than that model retailed for when I bought it (nearly 3 years ago). I was welcome to use that trade in value for any Mac in the store. Since I was planning on getting a 17" MBP anyway, one came home with me that day. :D

Talk to your local support personnel, explain your point of view and your concerns. It went a long way for me and I will continue to purchase Apple products and support for as long as they keep producing a quality product.

22. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I think Steve has a team of employees that manage his e-mail account and most e-mails that pass the Junk mail filter are actually read by someone, and many are actually responded to...albeit usually short 1 line e-mails "Sent from my iPhone"