Does Skype app affect battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aaronvan, Feb 13, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It is possible that the Skype iPhone app causes rapid battery drain?

This morning I arrived to work and left my 16MB iPhone 5 in the locker with about a 98% charge remaining. Five hours later, the battery was showing only 37%. Usually, it’s down to no less than 90% at the same time. However, I noticed that I had two missed LTE calls (no wi-fi here) on Skype. I wonder if the missed called started some Skype process that used a lot of juice. Anybody have a similar experience?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Skype itself will definitely use up battery, and even in the background it can do that. If it's not running though (even in the background) then it shouldn't be doing that.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If Skype is in awake, then yes, it will use a small amount of battery (a negligible amount) - as any app running in the background will.

It probably wouldn't be enough to use that amount of battery life, unless you had a heck of a lot of activity!

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Maybe a cell tower was down for awhile and your phone was searching for service, thus draining the battery.

I'd guess it's something simple like that, or solar activity affecting cell reception. Basically the same thing. You'd be surprised (maybe) at how much battery life gets eaten up if the phone is constantly searching for a signal.