Does skype work on ipad touch.?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by mattg3, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Own an imac that i use skype on for friends overseas contact.Would like some kind of portability without getting a phone.Wondered if this might be a good option?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you mean ipad? or ipod touch?

in any case, both support skype. the ipad does not support skype outgoing VIDEO calls, as there is no camera - however with todays impeding updates this is likely to not be true (the ipad is rumored to have a front facing camera).

other then that, you can make voice calls just fine :)

3. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I meant ipod touch however it might make more sense to look at 2nd gen. ipad since I want to use it for video calls.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh ok. the ipod touch does have a camera in it - though i am not sure how well skype works with it.

the ipad event is now, so we will find out soon what is happening :)

5. linker101 macrumors newbie

Yes! both do support skype but not to video's. iPod touch also doesn't have a mic so more likely you can't have 2-way voice.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not do videos? outgoing or incoming?

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The 4th generation iPod touch DOES have front and rear cameras, and an integrated mic. And Skype knows how to use both of them. So for the purposes of Skypeing over WiFi, the iPod touch 4G is just about on par with the iPhone.

If you're using an iPod touch 3rd generation, then there are no cameras, so a video feed, if present, is supported in the incoming direction only. And there is no integrated mic, so you need an external mic or headset to be able to produce an outgoing audio feed.

Skype doesn't officially support iPod touch 2nd generation or lower for video calls at all, either one-way or two-way.