Does Snow Leopard have virus protection on it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boesky, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

I remember seeing reports of it a few days from the SL release, but I havent seen anything recently... Or any signs of it on my mac.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It looked like they were tinkering with a way of checking downloaded files against a couple known trojan signatures (2 trojans I believe), but it's not something Apple has touted as a feature. It's more of a work-in-progress thing. You'd be better off running iAntivirus from time-to-time, which is more thorough.

3. celticpride678

Mac OS X Snow Leopard has a malware protection database. Whenever, you download a possible file that has malware and it is in the Snow Leopard database, it alerts you. Other than that, no.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

its already included, if u are downloading a file from a site u mite have doubts about, then i suggest taking an old ipod, if u have one, plug it in, go into itunes and select the thing where it makes it like a hard disk mode or something, go to disk utility, click the partition tab, click on volume scheme, then select 1 partition, then click options and select the GUID thing, then click ok, and click partition or erase or whatever it says at the bottom. insert the sl disc, start installing it, when it asks u where to install it, click on ur ipod, then when u boot up next time, when the white screen comes on and it makes that noise, hold down option, and select ur ipod, set up ur accounts and what not, then download onto ur ipod, instead of ur macintosh hd, this is safer so u wont screw up ur mac. good luck

5. kolax macrumors G3

Or just use the file and have a Time Machine backup mmm k?