Does Snow Leopard keep a record of battery problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by intri-gued, Jul 13, 2012.

1. intri-gued macrumors newbie

I had a problem with my battery (mac unibody- late 2008) and I was interested in checking the date I first got an error. I check the console but, either it's not there or I checked in the wrong place.

Thanks for any advice!

2. intri-gued thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, though it doesn't work. I don't think it has that information. In any case the battery seems completely dead. The program shows no information on the battery.

I'd want to explain to the "genius" that this is a faulty battery from early on. Somehow, it seems that there is no log keeping this sort of information (which is odd).

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If it's the original battery then it's well out of warranty but is user replaceable. Take it to an Apple store and have them check it and replace it.

4. intri-gued thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice Blueroom!

I still would like to know whether there is a log file keeping track of errors related to battery issues.

The Console does a lot of bookkeeping of all sorts of errors. When the battery is not working, I'm wondering whether the problem is saved here or somewhere else.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The number of cycles and full charge capacity is recorded in System Profiler (10.6 and earlier) or System Information (10.7) under Hardware->Power. This information is used to evaluate the health of the battery and whether it is depleted or defective. If the computer and battery are past 3 years though, expect to pay for a replacement. There is no log file per se.

6. intri-gued thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm guessing I will have to pay. But it is quite frustrating since the battery was replaced in late 2010, a couple of months later I had a "Service battery" message and erratic behavior. I didn't pay attention since it was the second time I had a battery problem and I wasn't expecting much of an improvement but now the battery is completely dead and swollen (risking the physical health of the body).

I'm tired of the low quality of the macbooks and service but I'm stuck since I would hate migrating to another OS...