Does someone prefer the macbook white over the unibodies?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aratio, Mar 23, 2009.

1. aratio macrumors member

Do you think can this be possible?

* Apple updating their macbook white to use the same processor, motherboard and memory than the unibodies.

* Apple updating their macbook white LCD screen to be LED backlit.

I actually prefer the look and feel of the macbook white but their specs are a little inferior than the alu ones... [the price is also sexier].

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I personally think Apple is just leaving these around until they can bring the unibody MacBook price down to $999. Clearly, their entire Mac line is going aluminum only and the whitebook is the only piece of plastic in the entire Mac lineup.

They wouldn't want to discontinue it now, because in this economy, many people can't justify a notebook at $1300, but at $999 it's a heck of a deal.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The white MacBook already uses the same processor as the unibody one. The only difference is the RAM, and in the real world the speed difference is miniscule.

MacWorld tested the updated white and the unibody, and the unibody is <5% faster. I'll wager even money if you use the two side by side, you'd never notice the difference in speed. And the white is almost 25% cheaper. From a performance per dollar standpoint, it's an absolute no brainer.

5. Yodgee macrumors member

Surely for performance only the both are evenly matched. But you pay the extra money for the design of the unibody. The multi-touch trackpad and backlit keyboard is pretty cool as well

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I thought so too. But MacWorld tested both, and the unibody pulls ahead very, very slightly: http://www.macworld.com/article/138752/2009/02/2ghz_macbook_9400m.html

Not sure why. Faster RAM, maybe...