Does Soundblaster or another company make sound cards for G4's?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by msx, Apr 30, 2010.

1. msx macrumors newbie

Does Soundblaster or another company make sound cards for G4's? Preferably ones that support 10.4 and 10.5?

If so who or where?

2. Retrosonic macrumors regular

Sound Cards

Why even go that route?

Put in a cheapm fast USB 2 card (I got mine for like 10 bucks) and get a USB sound box. Will sound great and wont take up a slot in the machine.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Is there a particular reason you need a dedicated sound card?

M-Audio still makes PCI sound cards that work with G4s, like the Audiophile 2496 and the Audiophile 192. These are both professional sound cards that cost over $100.

4. msx thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I want to 'go that route' is because sound cards are often times a lot better for sound than onboard sound chips. Your vague reference to a usb sound box was not very helpful. How about giving an actual model number, and the name of the product, or even the website from the company you got it from.

Again, the reason I want a sound card is because sound cards are often times a lot better for sound than onboard sound chips.

Thank you for at least giving me product names, at least I can look these up through google or check owc.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

So much depends on what you're trying to do. There are many companies making various devices for getting sound into and/or out of a computer. I happen to like the Presonus Firebox I have. However, it might do a lot more than you require. It has 4 inputs, 2 line in and 2 instrument/mic ins (with phantom power available) and connects via Firewire. It has quality outputs, but I don't usually use them for anything. It also has MIDI in/out.

What are your requirements?

6. msx thread starter macrumors newbie

For example, I have a soundblaster audigy in my PC and the card is about 3 years old, but is enough for me, and I enjoy the quality of the sound coming out of it. So I guess something similar for a Mac G4 would be good. I don't need anything as epic as what you have, just something that is better than onboard sound, thanks!

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Then the Audiophile 2492 is probably your best bet without going nuts. They cost right around $150.

Practically all the dedicated sound cards available for the Mac platform are pro cards and can get rather expensive really fast (sometimes in the thousands) - like RME and Motu. Of course, a lot of them are also advanced I/O cards with 32+ channels of balanced output, too.

Since there's practically no market for game development (which sadly, is the largest driving force in marketing a dedicated consumer sound card) on the Mac, companies like Creative simply don't bother writing the drivers.