Does SSD fix lag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff5886, May 9, 2011.

1. Jeff5886 macrumors regular

I use my 2011 MBP as a desktop replacement and it is always on so I dont care about boot time. What I want to know is will an SSD stop the "loading" of programs. For example, when I click on itunes, I want it to load instantly. Or when I am viewing iphoto, I dont want a single hickup. I want lightning speed. Will an SSD do this?

2. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Yes, yes, and yes.

3. 87am macrumors regular

Yes. That is the exact thing thats an SSD will do. Maybe not "lightning" fast, but noticeably better then an HDD.

4. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

Now what if the programs are installed on the ssd but media is on a traditional drive. Will this slow down something like iphoto since it is accessing data from the HDD? Or will it store the data to the cache?

5. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Jeff, you asked exactly the question I'd like to see an answer to. I have a 60 gig iPhoto library, and I'm planning on buying a 128 gig SSD drive, and want to store my iPhoto library on the other drive (using a media bay).

It would be interesting to see if we get improved performance by just having the application on the SSD even though the data is stored else where. My guess is app load will be faster, but maybe the lag due to having such a large library will persist...

Anyone confirm?

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I've noticed that loading up images in iphoto or photoshop still happens darn-near-instantaneously with the program on the SSD and the media on the HDD. Same with library loading in itunes. I had the same concerns that you're expressing and I've been satisfied that my concerns were unwarranted.

7. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

so your pics and music are on a HDD?

8. davecheng macrumors newbie

For iTunes, I put the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media folder on a regular HDD and the key databases and album art on the SSD (iTunes Library, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.xml, iTunes Music Library.xml).

This seems to be the best of both worlds. Super fast Genius updates, library contingency checks (e.g. when iTunes quits unexpectedly), yet small footprint. (iTunes occupies about 1 GB on the SSD, and 200 GB on the HDD.)

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I actually have my entire home folder located on the HDD. Easy and seamless. And really freakin fast.

10. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

how about lag in gaming. i have read that ssd does not improve FPS or gaming performance because the data is really being ran through the gpu. Is this true? Is it even worth it to install games on an SSD?

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Sorry, I can't help you there. I don't play any games on my computer, only on my PS3. But I can't imagine an SSD would improve gaming performance. I think the HDD caches ahead what you need for the game. I don't thin the HDD is really a bottle-neck for gaming. From what I understand, it's mainly dependent on the GPU, like you said.

12. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Video games rely especially on GPU and CPU power. SSD's advantages are basically a higher access rate to the data within it, perhaps it would speed up loading speeds of campaign maps, single player etc. whose files are stored inside the computer. But at the real time of playing the game, these files will have already been loaded and will only be processed after that by the gpu/cpu. On the online side, having an SSD would be the same as having a normal hard drive. No advantages there (again, cpu,gpu, and internet speed in this case).

13. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Anybody have an SSD and store their itunes and iphoto on a NAS on their network? Curious to see the results of that. ;)

14. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Will depend on the program. Programs like iPhoto have a mini folder that indexes all the files, which allows them to appear in the program super fast. As for opening the images, it will be fast but not "as" fast.

15. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

How did you did that ?
    A brief tutorial maybe ?