Does SSD require lower bay in 2012 mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Kentuckienne, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Kentuckienne macrumors regular

Kentuckienne

Over on the Apple support boards there are threads and threads saying that when a new SSD was installed in the upper bay and the HDD left in the lower bay, the mini wouldn't boot. Reversing the installation so the old HDD is moved to the upper bay and installing the new SDD in the lower bay is supposed to fix it every time. Has anyone here run into this?

2. El Hikaru macrumors regular

I don't think there is any difference between upper of lower bay for boot, but you need to specify the startup volume as the link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I moved the original HDD to the upper bay and connected a new SSD on the lower bay, and installed OS to the SSD and select the SSD as booting drive because I will likely to upgrade HDD than the SSD in the future and would like to leave HDD at more accessible location. I however believe that the reverse setting will not make any change

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Either works.

They probably had a loose connection. Easy to knock sata cables loose when putting antenna back in.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I think you have your bay locations confused.
    The Lower bay is the one right under the wi/fi grill, the easy one to access, keep in mind when working on these bays your computer is upside-down.
    Top=upper
    Bottom=lower

Attached Files:

5. raniel macrumors regular

raniel

6. Kentuckienne thread starter macrumors regular

Kentuckienne

After poking around, all the complaints i saw were users who used an iFixit data cable, and the consensus was that the problem was specific to that particular hardware, and was fixed every time by changing the drive positions.