Does Starfront use resources even when closed?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by miamialley, May 17, 2011.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I notice when I close the app and open it again, it does not go through a full startup. When I force close it from the bar it does do a full start up. Is the app using any resources if you don't force quit it?

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

This is a standard feature of iOS (although not all apps support it). Short answer: don't even bother thinking about it, and just enjoy the speedy opening.

Long answer: kind of. It uses memory of course, as the program is loaded. In general it won't use any CPU at all because it's effectively 'paused'. If the system runs low on memory, it'll automatically close apps you haven't used for a while, so that's not really a problem (sometimes you'll see an app run a bit slowly for a few seconds when it first opens - that's usually the system shutting down old apps in the background).

Also, some apps will continue running in the background. Only very few though, and I don't know this app, so I'm not sure if it does or not. Generally, it's only things like skype (where you need to keep talking to people while you open another app) or GPS navigation (where you want it to keep guiding you while you take a phone call or whatever) or music players. Not much else is allowed to run. The only other exception is when say the app is downloading a file - it's allowed to run just enough code to finish the download, then it has to sleep. And it gets killed if it doesn't finish in 10 minutes.

So, there's not much downside at all to all that. Only time I ever manually close an app is for copilot - it annoyingly keeps running and giving me directions after I've finished with it!

3. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I really want to know if it affects battery life in any way.

4. psonice macrumors 6502a

No, or at least not so you'd ever notice the difference. It's designed so that it does absolutely nothing while it's not actually on the screen.