Does state sales tax holiday apply at Apple online store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jtbell, Aug 2, 2008.

1. jtbell macrumors newbie

Some states in the US are having a "sales tax holiday" this weekend, in which various kinds of school supplies, including computers, software, etc. are exempt from sales tax. For example:

http://www.apple.com/retail/taxholiday/southcarolina.html

I know that if were to buy something at an Apple retail store, I'd get the exemption, but the nearest one is about a two hours' drive away. If I order from the Apple Store online, do I get the exemption? A section near the bottom of the page seems to indicate "yes":

but I'd like to make sure before I click the checkout button on my cart. If can't get the exemption, then I'd rather wait a bit before ordering. But if I can save a few hundred dollars by ordering now (actually by tomorrow morning because I'm going out of town then), I'll go ahead and do it.

If you're in a state that has a similar tax holiday and it's worked for you at the online Apple Store, raise your hand! :)

2. rvrugg90 macrumors member

Hello. I live in NC and our Tax-free started Yesterday. Up to $3500. Not sure what SC is. But yes, this does apply online. You will add everything into the cart, submit the order, and after it is processed/shipped, you will be credited the amount of tax back.

just a note....I ordered early (12.40am) yesterday (MBP/8GBTouch/Printer) and never received a confirmation of the order, so i called in and the rep. i talked to gave me free 2day shipping. So My custom MBP and other stuff will arrive between tuesday-friday of next week :)
    Good Luck!

3. jtbell thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, that sounds good. So when I submit the order, it will still show the tax, but I'll get it back later.

Actually, I'm going to drive through Charlotte on my way north tomorrow so I could in principle stop at the Apple Store there, but then I'd have to schlep a Mac Pro and 23" display, plus miscellaneous other goodies, all the way to Ohio and back. :p

As it is, the stuff should arrive around the time I get back. It will be delivered to my office, so there will be no problem with delivery.

And South Carolina doesn't seem to have a cap on the exemption. :D

4. rvrugg90 macrumors member

Thats correct.

Yeah, I live in Western NC, so the closest apple store was in Knoxville,TN (1.5 hrs away) But they had a $1500 cap on their deal so I couldnt have even bought my MBP there.

5. jtbell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, too bad the only Apple Store in SC is in Charleston... a bit far for both of us!

6. jtbell thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: when I placed the order, it estimated nearly $300 in sales tax, but the invoice actually showed only about $20. After clearing up a brief snafu with my credit card, everything is on the way now. It should arrive at my office by the time I get home next week.

Since I was using Apple's online "education store", I also got a free (post-rebate) iPod nano. That's probably what the sales tax was for.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah some people dont get confirmation emails until the order is "processed" (i.e.) you order on Saturday, but its not processed until Monday.

Also...apple ships most of their things 2 days shipping for free..They might say 5-7, but most people live near a distribution center and its 2 days for the regular shipping option.