Does "Stop Copy" Rollback To Before Copy Began?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JoelMarcey, Jul 28, 2010.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Let's say you started to copy on order of 50,000 files to a directory. It starts processing about 25,000 files and then you decide to cancel the copy and you press the "Stop Copy" X button.

Does that action rollback everything to just before you began the copy? Or do the first 25,000 actually get copied over to the destination directory? Or do the first 25,000 files get stored in some temporary cache directory somewhere?

I am pretty sure the answer to the second question is No. But I am not sure about the first or the third.

2. ttopp macrumors regular

it copies each file indevidually so if you haave went through 25000 then they will be in the new location and you will have to delete them..

3. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Oh, really? OK. Thanks.

Then when I pressed stop copy, it must have been during a processing process or something because all of the folders and files that were in the destination directory disappeared. Maybe it just hadn't started the real copy process yet.

4. jackal123uk macrumors member

I've just experienced this "roll back" - very frustrating...

When manually backing up my data (approx 100,000 files), I decided I wanted to hold it there and continue in the morning.

What's said above is quite right, individually transferred files appear in the destination folder but when "stop copying" is pressed, these file will disappear one by one. In fact, the copy dialogue box remains up displaying "stopping" throughout this deleting process.

What makes it more frustrating is the same happens if when transferring via USB the connection gets broken (always happening when the kids are around).

Anyone know if there's some settings that'd change this behaviour?

Surely, "stop copying" should be just that, as opposed to "cancel copying"