Does "Stuffit" worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sahumah, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sahumah macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I really trust the guys on this forum and thanks in advance for always helping! I'm still a beginner in the mac world so please help.

I have a problem with compressed files on my macbook pro version 10.8.2. My mac doesn't open some compressed files and when I surfed online some people were recommending this app: "stuffit". Just want to know if it worths it?

It is gonna help me open all the compressed file? :) Thanks in advance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by "worth it"? Stuffit Expander is free. Stuffit Expander more that worth its $0.00 price. There are other Stuffit utilities--Stuffit and Stuffit DeLuxe. Stuffit includes MagicMenu and DropStuff which can compress files in various archive formats. Stuffit Deluxe also includes archive management functions.

A very popular alternative to freeware Stuffit Expander is freeware The Unarchiver. The question remains: What do you mean by "worth it"?

3. Sahumah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I am sorry if I am not clear cos I am sleepy. lol
    I mean should I purchase Stuffit Deluxe? I bought some apps before and it was just a waste of money so I learned to ask those who know more!

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Stuffit Deluxe is for compressing files, not decompressing. If you only need to decompress files, there is no advantage to Stuffit Deluxe. In addition, it's an outdated technology that shouldn't be used anymore. Stuffit Expander is the most you should ever need. You can also try The Unarchiver, if you're having trouble with compressed files.

jW