Does such a device as this exist? Hardware

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kdum8, May 26, 2007.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

OK, is there such a device made as a very-thin, A4-ish size portable flat-screen on which one can read PDFs/eBooks/surf the net. I am not talking about a full tablet pc here which is too expensive and bulky for what I have in mind. I do a lot of reading of PDFs, wikipedia and the like and it would be nice to be able to sit in bed/on the sofa with a lightweight, thin 'electronic book' of some sort instead of having to sit chained to a pc. Does anyone know of such a device?

:p

2. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

3. applekid macrumors 68020

How about a PDA? I use my Palm TX to do all of the things you named. As long as the PDFs you're talking about aren't too bulky, a PDA should be sufficient.

Palm is supposed to announce a new device Wednesday, so maybe you should wait for that.

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

palm or ppc?

e-paper isn't too far away...

[​IMG]

LG.Philips Paper Thin LCD

5. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Now that is cool. Have to see when that comes out...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Samsung and Sony have also been hard at work on this. It's been a long time coming (well over 10 years), but it seems to finally be getting close.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Perhaps the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet? I've always thought they're pretty neat, but a little too expensive for my pocketbook.

8. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I looked at the Nokia N800 but its screen is too small and it's too thick for what I had in mind. It's possible that what I am looking for hasn't been invented yet. I guess what I am after is a super colour version of an iRex iLiad that can surf the net and is thinner. Perhaps I want to have my cake and eat it...;)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Mmm...cake and technology...
    [​IMG]

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This seems an appropriate place to mention a favorite old internet saying: A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard. :D

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Wait a month or two. Starting sometime this summer and extending through the holiday season you'll see many different manufacturers introducing Ultra Mobile PCs (UMPCs) and Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), with prices starting in the $200-300 range.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

the tx is waaaaay too small to comfortably read much. i use it to take notes, and as a result, review pdfs and .docs and stuff...too small.

also the palm hawk is supposed to be a umpc, and depending on the needs of the OP...