Does such a device exist that lets me connect my external drives to my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magiic, Aug 16, 2008.

1. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

Ok so here is the deal. I am long time windows desktop user (I've been using windows desktops since I was five years old starting with windows 95) who switched to Mac last week when I bought a Macbook Pro. I am currently trying to transition all my stuff so I can my desktop out of my room and sell it and use the MBP as primary PC. The only hiccup is that I have 3 external hard drives. I have a lot of music and movies and what not on them and I'd like to be able to acess them from anywhere in my house via wifi so I dont have to keep plugging in and unplugging drives when I want to work somewhere else in the house. Is there any device that lets me do this? Something I can hook my hard drives up to or something? I have a 200GB drive, 500GB drive and a 1TB drive.

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Many Wifi routers and/or WiFi access points can do this. For example Apple Airport Extreme and Timecapsule devices can do this. Hard drive sharing at the Apple Website.

3. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

Thanks for the link. That's would be perfect. The only downside is that it only has one usb port.

4. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

yeah sure, I switched 4 months ago and got myself an airport extreme.
    it is incredibly simple. Buy an airport extreme base station (not express, it doesn't support external drives) and an usb hub and connect them. Simple configuration is needed but of course it is easy. You also can use Time Machine wirelessly btw.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

then get a usb hub lol

6. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

I blame the heat.:D

7. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

you will notice speed differences though.
    USB is 480Mb/s
    your network will max at around 270Mb/s
    but with range and signal strength it will defiantly be less,
    probably about half as fast as your current setup but the convenience will be worth it in my house. Multiple users can use them, that's why I networked mine.

8. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

It looks like Im going to have to pass on it for now. $200 is too much for me to shell out right now. I'll have to deal with inconvenience of disconnecting when I leave my room.

9. Hates macrumors regular

If you are willing to fork out (which you said you're not) you could get a NAS enclosure and put all the drives in it so that they become network drives. Like the Drobo with DroboShare for example.

10. charliex5 macrumors regular

I got a belkin network USB hub. $100 and I have three hard drives and a printer all hooked up to my MacBook over wifi. I'm using it right now to stream How I Met Your Mother. I LOVE this thing!! 5 USB ports. Although it is kinda slow sometimes it works for my needs (time machine and iTunes).

11. magiic thread starter macrumors regular

magiic

Im willing to shell out the money just not right now. Im going away for 9 months in September. When I get back I will probably just get a drobo or something.