does such a program exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by big duck, Jan 28, 2009.

1. big duck macrumors member

I like watching TV and stuff on my iMac, whilst browsing on my laptop at the other side of the room. When a show finishes, I'd like to be able to put another one on with out getting up (I know i could use front row with the remote, but my files are on an external hard drive and it's a pain to navigate to on front row).

So, basically, I want a program that allows me to use my macbook as a bluetooth/wifi mouse and keyboard for my imac.

possible?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You can download VLC which has playlist support for videos, unlike QT.

I'm sure there would be a way for you to do that through VNC or something similar, but maybe someone else might know an easier method.

3. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

You can set up a VNC server on your iMac in your System Preferences (Sharing pane). From there, you can download a wide variety of free and paid apps for VNC clients for the Mac. But that's not really your best solution, if you just want to use it for mouse and keyboard. Temporarily, I think it'll work great.

The iPod Touch has a remote that can control your iTunes as long as you're on the same network as the computer you want to control and I love it. If you have one and you use iTunes for this, it's a perfect solution I think.

Don't know any apps that would let your MacBook's mouse and keyboard control your iMac though.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

5. finnschi macrumors 6502

you know about Remote Desktop? and also there are some great FREE apps for the iPhone! :D

6. big duck thread starter macrumors member

i don't have an iphone or ipod touch, unfortunately.
    From the looks of things I'd have to pay for all the recommendations so far.

Thanks anyway.

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

VNC is free, and ChickenOfThe VNC is a free Mac app that will let you control another.

Allllso, I just thought of this, but an easier method rather than going through all the info/ports/ip addresses for VNC setup would be if both machines have Leopard, is to use iChat and setup screen sharing to control the other machine. It might not be the fastest or best method, but at the most you would have to make 2 AIM screen names, log into iChat, make the request on one, accept it on the other, and just leave it going on in the background whenever you need to control it.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

... or just use OS X's built in VNC client. In Finder, Go -> Connect to Server, and enter your target computer's name.

VLC and Plex are both free applications. All of the recommendations that have been made thus far are free.

Attached Files: