Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Hello all. I'm curious if there is a program out there that will do what I'm looking for. Basically, I'd like to have some secure folders on my computer. Ideally, I'd love it if I could create new folders and put stuff in there I want to keep secure. Double clicking on the folder would prompt a box asking for a password, then once the password is entered, the folder would open. Is there anything out there like this? Is there already something on the mac like this?

Thanks for any information.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Thanks for the suggestions. All of that is a little more than what I was looking for. I was just hoping for an app that would allow me to create a new folder, that when double clicked, it would prompt for a password.

I will keep those in mind though. The encrypted disk image seems good, but it is more than I'm looking for. I may have to go that way. I don't really have a need for anything crazy, just old school paper and financial stuff I'd like to hide as I let friends use my computer when they're over.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. All of that is a little more than what I was looking for. I was just hoping for an app that would allow me to create a new folder, that when double clicked, it would prompt for a password.

I will keep those in mind though. The encrypted disk image seems good, but it is more than I'm looking for. I may have to go that way. I don't really have a need for anything crazy, just old school paper and financial stuff I'd like to hide as I let friends use my computer when they're over.
Why not just create a user account for them, and limit permissions to block access from sensitive data?

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Why not just create a user account for them, and limit permissions to block access from sensitive data?

yea, I hear you, but that's not neat enough for me. I have one folder that I keep some stuff in that I'd like to block access to. People see it and click on it and I just want it to prompt for a password. I don't really want to make it too involved as it's not a huge deal. I've been googling and can't believe such an app doesn't exist. I may have to go with the encryption option.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
yea, I hear you, but that's not neat enough for me. I have one folder that I keep some stuff in that I'd like to block access to. People see it and click on it and I just want it to prompt for a password. I don't really want to make it too involved as it's not a huge deal. I've been googling and can't believe such an app doesn't exist. I may have to go with the encryption option.
Hmm... I guess you could set the permission to hidden as well, but it might be a pain to hide/unhide as you want to gain access.

How often do they have access?

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Hmm... I guess you could set the permission to hidden as well, but it might be a pain to hide/unhide as you want to gain access.

How often do they have access?

not that often. It's whenever someone is here and they get on my computer. You know how some people like to just look around. I'm not a fan of hiding/unhiding.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I've been googling and can't believe such an app doesn't exist. I may have to go with the encryption option.

You really should. Using an encrypted disk image really isn't very involved, it's just as simple to use as what you're looking for, plus it's actually secure and doesn't just present the appearance of security (like the hidden folder suggestion). wiley17's link is excellent.

The ease of using encrypted images is precisely why there isn't an app to do this. There's not much reason for such an app to exist.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
You really should. Using an encrypted disk image really isn't very involved, it's just as simple to use as what you're looking for, plus it's actually secure and doesn't just present the appearance of security (like the hidden folder suggestion). wiley17's link is excellent.

The ease of using encrypted images is precisely why there isn't an app to do this. There's not much reason for such an app to exist.

yea, I hear you. I'll probably do that. It looks like I have little choice. I'm not really worried about security. The prompt for the password is all the security I'm looking for, but you're right. The encrypted disk image looks like it's the way to go.

Thanks all for the information.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008

I was just thinking in terms of frequency. If it was rather rare, and the OP wasn't interested in purchasing an encryption app, it was offered as a temporary solution. Obviously it's very limited, but better than both visible and wide open. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.