Does SuperDuper erase everything else?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by riker1384, Jan 29, 2008.

1. riker1384 macrumors regular

I have a drive I want to back up onto, but it also has other stuff. If I use SuperDuper (the free version for now), will it erase everything on the drive?

I also have Retrospect Express, which does incrementals, but I'm not comfortable because I don't know or sure if I could recover the stuff or what. I've never tested it. It's better if I can boot it and see. I've made one bootable clone, but I put other stuff on the drive and I don't want to lose that if I redo the clone.

I could always make a disk image and clone to that; I'd boot off the old clone and then open the image and restore that. It would save space if I could just redo it all though.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

SD! does delete everything else, but you can partition your drive to keep the stuff you already have on there :)

3. riker1384 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that, and can I do that without erasing everything?

4. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

If you have Leopard, you can make a new partition without reformatting using the Diskutility. Just select the drive you're cloning to and go to the partition tab. If you don't, you'll need another utility to do this, as diskutility will erase everything. I recommend diskstudio for this, keep in mind that it won't let you partition your Startup Disk.