Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
If I get an LTE watch and pair it to my iphone Xs but then take an old iphone 5 and swap in my sim card from the Xs, will I still have wireless service and all that on my watch?

Reactions: baruchsienna

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I think it won't work.
It may will force you to reactivate the cellular on watch app on iPhone Xs if it detects that the sim card is no longer with that phone

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Good question, no idea what will happen though. It depends on your carrier to some extent. I think it should work. Let’s us know.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
It won't screw up your watch but you want have service on it nor will it get any notifications. The cellular works as a handoff from the phone its paired to. If its not paired to an active phone the cellular won't work and neither will any of the notifications.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
It won't screw up your watch but you want have service on it nor will it get any notifications. The cellular works as a handoff from the phone its paired to. If its not paired to an active phone the cellular won't work and neither will any of the notifications.
So does my iphone have to be on for the handoff to work. What if I leave it at home and the battery dies, does my watch service stop?

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
The watch has its own cell number but how long they can be out of touch if the phone is OFF ( slide to power off ) off
may be a question for who does your cell service

For Sprint my watch is an add on to contract

Some of my watch app will not work if no phone and others after updates want me to use the app on the phone first

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.