Does syncing the iphone speed it up, or clean it up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtztgue, Jul 6, 2011.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I ran into someone the other day complaing about their phone running a little slow and having some software issues. Typically when this happens to me I do a hard reboot, but they made the comment that an IT person told them to just sync the phone with itunes and that would take care of it. My thought was, maybe if they updated the software, but that is different than just syncing.

So I guess to anyone else out there, does syncing your iphone make any major changes that will clean up or speed up your phone?

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

It can. It doesn't inherently make anything run faster, but it can remove unwanted data from the phone.

ps, thanks for spelling sync right!

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Not so sure about syncing, but a restore can definitely clear out some clutter.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree, I've never heard of a regular sync improving performance.

A restore will.

5. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Interesting... I do sometimes have a "feel" like syncing is a maintenance thing. But if you look at it logically, all it does is match what's on your computer to what's on your phone, unless there is something else going during the syncing process such as perhaps it re-sorting the data in the phone to make it run smoother. (pure speculation).

One thing that for sure can help is if a few certain apps he's using have bugs in them and he has new version's of the apps on his computer then what's on his phone that clears those bugs, then yeah sync would help.