Does T-Mobile no contract requires credit checks ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Oct 3, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Like it isn't a 2 year one
    But I thought you had to sign a promise ?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It definitely does if you want to buy a phone with 24 months of payments. Not sure if they need one if you BYOD.

Cheers,

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

A prepaid account does not require a credit check, a postpaid one does.

4. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The one that cost $100 down
    The new plan that it's favored by many people
    The 24 monthly payments of $22 for the phone
    If you don't want service

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you want to finance a phone for 24 months then a credit check is required.

They also now have a Postpaid BYOD plan that doesn't require a credit check. You'll need to bring your own phone or buy one full price from T-Mobile.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The point of their financing the phone is to get people to use their service, they're not going to just finance it for you and let you go use it on someone else's network.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you decide to leave, you'll need to pay off the phone.

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I don't think require a credit check. I'm also with T-Mobile and pay month-to-month. Since your paying upfront on a month-to-month basis, you're in good standing. If your financing a phone, then you would require one.

9. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

Yes it does
    It's a hard pull and drop my score 5pts
    They will tell you it's iust a soft pull

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Came in to say this. I actually had to pay a deposit of $50 per line for 6 lines.

11. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Only if you're financing a phone right?

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

They run a credit check on everyone opening a new postpaid account, even if you're not financing a phone. I had one pulled on me even though I bought my 5s unlocked direct from Apple for full price. They told me I could have up to 5 lines without putting down a deposit, but that it varies based on individual credit worthiness.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The no contract plans are still considered post-paid accounts, which still require a credit check. Even if you buy the phone outright, a credit check is going to be run to get service UNLESS you specifically get a pre-paid plan.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Nope if you're not going the prepaid route a credit check will be ran. I regret it now because the service is definitely not up to par here in the Chicagoland area.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

As of August they have a "No Credit Check" Postpaid plan for those who don't want their credit ran. You have to have your own phone and also have to pay deposits:
    $50 - first line
    $30 - second line
    $10 - third line
    $10 - fourth line

Four line maximum.

16. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Interesting. They didn't even offer that option to me last week, but I'd still rather have my credit pulled than pay down a deposit, so no biggie.

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

That's pretty stupid to do a credit check if youre not financing anything isn't it? Is there a service difference between prepaid/postpaid, like roaming?

18. Lancetx, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

AFAIK, virtually everybody pulls credit if you're signing up for a postpaid plan. I know AT&T did too when I first signed up years ago with them.

Prepaid terms & conditions:

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Prepaid doesn't get data roaming, and don't get as much voice roaming coverage either. They also get bumped down on the priority list when towers are congested. Other than that they are pretty much the same service-wise.

The reason they do the credit check even if you don't finance a phone is because signing up for a plan still makes you eligible to finance one if you choose to do so in the future. It's like how the other carriers run a credit check even if you don't buy a subsidized device from them. Because you're eligible to get one, the carrier is taking a financial risk.

I think that's why they introduced the no credit check postpaid plan. It doesn't require a credit check and it also doesn't give you the ability to finance a phone in the future either.