Does tetherme make it so AT&T can't see that you are tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JMB1911, Apr 6, 2011.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I have searched google and what not and have seen different responses....

anyone know the official word?

thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Noone knows for sure.
    Some say they can tell even if you use MyWi, tetherme or any other hacks.
    Others say they just base it on large usage per month and dont even bother analyzing your accounts data packets etc...

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I have a theory that it has to do with your DNS queries. After all, you're using their DNS server when you browse the net in 3G. There are certain locations that you never would visit over the phone. Simple ones that come to mind are the Apple iTunes activation site (that you use to authorize computers for DRM), Windows/Apple update search, NTS time check servers, etc... Anyone think so?

Even if they search some other way, it's doubtful that any program will be able to totally mask tethering from detection.

4. JMB1911 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply. I use very little data, I use tetherme for doing work emails out and about. I would think I am OK then...I never stream any movies or TV shows with tetherme or on my phone by itself.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Don't let the fear of 'getting caught' stop you from taking advantage of what you own/subscribe to. You can view as many videos as you want over 3G via your phone and they will not be able to stop you :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here, I use it very few times and when needed its good to have.
    Some people go nuts though abusing it, disconnecting their home internet and using the iphone instead and sucking up 30-40GB per month and other crazy amounts of usage. I think those high data users is what they're mostly after IMO.

7. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Lol come on man. I'm not here to play moral police because I tether myself on occassion, but if your not paying for a tethering package and using feature through a hack of some sort then your stealing.

I don't know where the idea "you pay for data so you can use it however you want" came from but that's not what you agreed to and you can't say "well that's not fair" after the fact.

Edit: I realize your post, blevins, specifically was directed towards phone use. I'm replying to him "not getting caught" tethering. Sorry if there is any confusion

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

This is the first theory that makes sense to me and would be easy to implement for them. No deep packet inspection bs needed. Just simply "you went here and a phone wont/cant do that," throw up the user is tethering flag.

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

The only I know who received a notice had disconnected his home Internet and was tethering only, probably using around 30gb a month. I think il be safe with my 5 or 6 GB. :D